none
SBS 2011 Premium Retail

Question

• Hi there,

We have been running the SBS since its inception. We have licenced and upgraded along the way....and now we have a dilema as we run the SQL  addon  on separate hardware with an accounting system.

The SBS hardware needs to be replaced...the SQL server warranty is still good for 2 more years with vendor support.

I would like to know if I can virtualize the SBS (PDC, Exchange and Sharepoint, files sharing for 30 users) on nice beefy hardware...with RAID and still run our accounting system...which I can then plan to upgrade next year. (breaking out the SQL licensing from the SBS model) and then the following year either upgrading the exchange to 365 and upgrading the domain to what ever the new version is. Senior management is not fond of cloud solutions...yet.

The cost of upgrading all clients, 2 servers, SQL, Exchange and the accounting system is daunting to say the least....this doesn't even touch on the the engineering department...

The only reason we need an upgrade is the SBS server hardware is now a year out of warranty. ..and I need to have faith in the hardware to sleep at night. 

We have reliable back ups and a security appliance.

Will the SBS with Exchange and SharePoint ....and file sharing run in a hyper v environment on server 2016\19??

And when I say run...run well??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Tami

A computer once beat me at chess...but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:02 PM

Answers

• Our company is in the exact same situation, running SBS since v4.0, with several upgrades to leading to SBS2011 premium.  

We've been running SBS 2011 virtualized for several years along with SQL premium, a terminal server, and another LOB server.  No issues with performance just make sure your hyperV server is beefy and has fast i/o.  Moving yours to virtualized will require some sort of "hardware independent" restore process that some backup programs provide.   

As for the forthcoming EOL, we are in the same situation as you - everything is needing upgrades by next year, looking at Office365 for exchange with new licensing and CAL's for server 2019 for the domain.  We use SQL as well and will be upgrading it as well as I was under the impression that SQL 2008R2 drops out of support 2019-09 (do you have other information??). We will also be adding another VM to handle WSUS and remote gateway as well since the "essentials" add-on has been dropped by MS ;-(

Also - pretty sure you can't break out the SQL premium add-on from SBS - I know it checks for an SBS domain on install, not sure about afterwards but it breaks the EULA AFAIK.

-- Al

• Edited by AMBW Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:07 PM More info
    • Marked as answer by Tami Farrelly Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Hello Tami,

That will work just fine. As a matter of fact, I move the old SBS often into a virtualized environment and migrate later. Microsoft has a little tool for that, it Disk2VHD. I wrote about this here Virtualize your SBS 2008 or 2011 and run it as a virtual machine on Hyper-V server.

If you can afford SSD's in the new Hyper-V host please do. It is so much faster. Most of my hosts have 6 or more SSD's in a Raid 10 or 6

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:23 AM

All replies

• Our company is in the exact same situation, running SBS since v4.0, with several upgrades to leading to SBS2011 premium.  

We've been running SBS 2011 virtualized for several years along with SQL premium, a terminal server, and another LOB server.  No issues with performance just make sure your hyperV server is beefy and has fast i/o.  Moving yours to virtualized will require some sort of "hardware independent" restore process that some backup programs provide.   

As for the forthcoming EOL, we are in the same situation as you - everything is needing upgrades by next year, looking at Office365 for exchange with new licensing and CAL's for server 2019 for the domain.  We use SQL as well and will be upgrading it as well as I was under the impression that SQL 2008R2 drops out of support 2019-09 (do you have other information??). We will also be adding another VM to handle WSUS and remote gateway as well since the "essentials" add-on has been dropped by MS ;-(

Also - pretty sure you can't break out the SQL premium add-on from SBS - I know it checks for an SBS domain on install, not sure about afterwards but it breaks the EULA AFAIK.

-- Al

• Edited by AMBW Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:07 PM More info
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Hello Tami,

That will work just fine. As a matter of fact, I move the old SBS often into a virtualized environment and migrate later. Microsoft has a little tool for that, it Disk2VHD. I wrote about this here Virtualize your SBS 2008 or 2011 and run it as a virtual machine on Hyper-V server.

If you can afford SSD's in the new Hyper-V host please do. It is so much faster. Most of my hosts have 6 or more SSD's in a Raid 10 or 6

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Thanks for the advise Mariette...I just joined your forum yesterday and have been reading the articles

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:48 PM
  • Thank you again Mariette...

Have been trying to find info on setting up the Hyper V

Currently we have our exchange and sharepoint on their own drives. From your tutorial I see creating the system drive...where are the data drives created...

Sorry...if you have any links on how to load the other drives into the hyper v it would be greatly appreciated...or does the data sit outside the Virtual Machine??

We have a mirrored set for the system...and a striped set for the SharePoint, exchange and data

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:31 PM