Windows Server Print Server 2012 R2 MP Not Alerting on Unhealthy Printers RRS feed

• Question

• I just spun up a 2012 R2 print server, added some printers (both healthy and unhealthy), installed the SCOM 2012 R2 agent and installed the Windows Server Print Server 2012 R2 MP (all in a test environment). I wanted to demonstrate the value add of this MP and I made the assumption that we could alert on unhealthy printers, but I'm not seeing any alerts. I have 7 printers total; 1 is offline, 1 has low toner and 1 is out of paper.  I would think that at least one of them should generate an alert based on the performance monitors present and enabled in the MP.

I checked the MP guide but can't find any answers.  Does anyone out there have any tips or suggestions for getting printer queue alerts working in the new Print Server 2012 R2 MP?

Regards,
    TsunamiSteve

• Edited by TsunamiSteve Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:46 PM title not specific enough
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• the majority of the rules and monitors in the Windows Server Print Server 2012 MP are looking at performance monitor, example; Out Of Paper errors is looking at the Print Queue\Out Of Paper Errors perf mon counter.

so the question would be if you are using a printer driver that actually writes this information to the perfmon or an event log then you could easily monitor it, by authoring some very simple rules/monitors using the authoring console.

Hope this helps!

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you! http://om2012.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by TsunamiSteve Monday, February 1, 2016 8:40 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Whether your printer servers are discoveried by the management pack?

Is there any local events in event viewer on those print servers which have issues? We could create a new rule to generate alerts based on events which indiate an issue.

Please check monitors and rules within the management pack, and find whether those monitors or rules which should responsible for monitoring the printer status are disabled.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

• Edited by Yan Li_ Friday, September 26, 2014 5:30 AM edit
    Friday, September 26, 2014 5:29 AM
  • Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, the printers were discovered by the management pack but all appear healthy even though a few definitely aren't per the Print Management console.  I checked the print server for events associated with unhealthy printers but either there aren't any or we don't have logging turned up high enough for that.  The management pack guide refers to this appendix (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd206713.aspx) and I've looked for the Run Monitoring Rule to edit the script but I think this is a reference to an earlier version of the MP and/or a 2003 print server.

It appears all the pieces to accomplish this are present and that I'm just missing a configuration in the MP (hopefully just an override that has eluded me).  Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    TsunamiSteve

Friday, September 26, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

It is suggested to go through the printer management pack guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3290

And we can also create a service monitor check the printer service status.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:06 AM
  • I am still having issues with the Print Server 2012 MP in general, but let's narrow down to one specific concern: alerting on ink/toner issues.  To recap, I am running SCOM 2012 R2 and I'm trying to use the Server 2012 Print Server MP (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40804) to alert on unhealthy printers on a new 2012 R2 print server.

There is no reference to a monitor or rule for ink/toner issues in the MP guide.  Furthermore, when I go to create a performance rule manually, there doesn't appear to even be a counter for ink/toner issues in the Windows Server 2012 Print Queue object.

How can SCOM reliably alert on ink/toner issues on a 2012 R2 print server?

Thank you,
    TsunamiSteve

Friday, November 7, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Interesting question Steve, were you ever able to find a solution to this using the SCOM Print Server MP? I can't imagine that the print queue object will hold any information about the ink levels (since the print queue isn't the physical printer)... but it would be nice if there was a way to use SCOM to monitor this and alert on low ink levels.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:34 PM
  • the majority of the rules and monitors in the Windows Server Print Server 2012 MP are looking at performance monitor, example; Out Of Paper errors is looking at the Print Queue\Out Of Paper Errors perf mon counter.

so the question would be if you are using a printer driver that actually writes this information to the perfmon or an event log then you could easily monitor it, by authoring some very simple rules/monitors using the authoring console.

Hope this helps!

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you! http://om2012.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by TsunamiSteve Monday, February 1, 2016 8:40 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Most printers will let you configure snmp alerts so you may have to look at using these to capture this kind of issue...
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:21 PM