Office Web App and Exchange Server on the same virutal machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends

I am new to SharePoint server community.  I have built a system with SharePoint 2013 on Window server 2012.  I have SQL server, DNS, Active Directory and SharePoint 2013 server on the same machine.  I am going to use Hyper-V to install Office Web App and Exchange Server on the this Hyper-V which is on the same machine.  Is it possible to install both Office Web App and Exchange server on the same hyper-v?

Thank you for your help and support.  Really appreciated.

Regards

Mohamed Rafi

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks Sudip for your quick response with lot of details.  Your quick help is really appreciated.

I will follow these step as outline here.

One more question:  Can I install exchange server on the machine where I have SharePoint 2013 server?

Thanks once again.

• Marked as answer by Mohamed_Rafi Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:00 PM

All replies

• Rafi,

in the 2013 version, Microsoft changed the architecture and now Office Web Apps can't be installed on the same server as SP2013. check this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219435(v=office.15)

If you scroll down to - Server roles, services, and other software that are required for Office Web Apps Server Preview, you will see that Microsoft state that: 
    Servers that run Office Web Apps Server Preview must not run any other server application. This includes Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Lync Server, and SQL Server. If you have hardware constraints, you can run Office Web Apps Server Preview in a virtual machine instance on one of these servers.

Server roles, services, and other software required for Office Web Apps Server

First, here are a few things you should NOT do when deploying Office Web Apps Server.

• Don’t install any other server applications on the server that’s running Office Web Apps Server. This includes Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Lync Server, and SQL Server. If you have a shortage of servers, consider running Office Web Apps Server in a virtual machine instance on one of the servers you have.

• Don’t install any services or roles that depend on the Web Server (IIS) role on port 80, 443, or 809 because Office Web Apps Server periodically removes web applications on these ports.

• Don’t install any version of Office. If it’s already installed, you’ll need to uninstall it before you install Office Web Apps Server.

• Don’t install Office Web Apps Server on a domain controller. It won’t run on a server with Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).

Hope this will help. Let me know!!

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

• Proposed as answer by Sudip Misra Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Thanks Sudip for your quick response with lot of details.  Your quick help is really appreciated.

I will follow these step as outline here.

One more question:  Can I install exchange server on the machine where I have SharePoint 2013 server?

Thanks once again.

• Marked as answer by Mohamed_Rafi Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:00 PM
  • See this thread - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/0793fa8d-3ac9-4c97-9e94-9cac20573def/can-we-install-exchange-server-2013-lync-server-2013-and-sharepoint-server-2013-on-a-single-server?forum=winserversetup

• Not suggested. It does not mean you can't. worth try and share your experience to others.
    • I will personally prfer to create another vm to install them.

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

• Edited by Sudip Misra Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Thanks again Sudip.  I will try as you suggested and update you accordingly.

Regards

Mohamed Rafi

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:24 PM
  • Hello

Is there free trial version available for download (office web app server)?

One more question - if I virtualize my window server 2012 by hyper-v, do I still need to install OS on this hyper-v in order install office web app?

Thanks

Mohamed Rafi

Mohamed_Rafi

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:24 PM