In-place upgrade from Hyper-V 2008 Server to Hyper-V 2008 R2 Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Searched and haven't found any concrete documents regarding this so....

I have a Hyper-V server (Host) virtualizing a Sever 2008 SP2 machine (guest).  Is an in-place upgrade from Hyper-V server to Hyper-V server R2 possible?  Any steps that I would need to follow?  How much down time should I expect?

Many thanks.

Marshall

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:59 AM

Answers

• Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Sorry about the late reply.  I've spent 2 weeks figuring out why the server wouldn't boot from the usb flash that I used to install Hyper-v 2008 R2 server, just to find out that I got a corrupted ISO download.......

So, in short, yes, it seems to work.  My hyper-V server was joined to the domain and after the upgrade, everything seems to be solid.  I wonder why this wasn't a supported upgrade path.....

Steps:

1)  Optional:  Perform individual backups within the VMs.  Call me paranoid but VMs are just like physical machines.  Better safe than sorry....
    2)  SHUTDOWN all VMs.  I would disable auto-start on VMs as well.  Again, just to be safe.
    3)  Backup the Hyper-V Server with WSB, including all VMs.  Upgrading is a high risk task.  Better have as many contingency plans as possible.
    4)  Export all VMs to external/attached storage.  If in-place upgrade fails, I can always perform a clean setup of Hyper-V 2008 R2 server and re-import the VMs.
    5)  Insert HV2008R2 server DVD into the machine (I used a USB flash as none of my servers have DVD/CD drives anymore).  Start setup process and select upgrade instead of custom.

After about 30-40 mins, upgrade is done without a hitch.  First thing to do:  Go to all the individual VMs and update the integrated service packs!!!!!!

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:03 AM

All replies

• No one has any information?
    • Proposed as answer by sprouley Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Vincent Hu Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Hello,

You're looking to upgrade the Hyper-V server product, vs. the full WS 2008 product, right?  I'd do the following:

*  Delete any snapshots on the VMs.
    *  Export all VMs.  Make sure VMs are not on the OS drive.
    *  Install Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and try upgrade if its an option.

I've had great luck doing in-place upgrade on WS 2008 to WS 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V role installed.  Not totally sure on the options for in-place with Hyper-V Server, but these steps would work with a clean install, provided the VMs are exported to a non-OS drive.

Nathan Lasnoski

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:09 AM
  • ·         Hi,

Have you tried the suggestion? I want to see if the information provided was helpful. Your feedback is very useful for the further research. Please feel free to let me know if you have addition questions.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Sorry about the late reply.  I've spent 2 weeks figuring out why the server wouldn't boot from the usb flash that I used to install Hyper-v 2008 R2 server, just to find out that I got a corrupted ISO download.......

So, in short, yes, it seems to work.  My hyper-V server was joined to the domain and after the upgrade, everything seems to be solid.  I wonder why this wasn't a supported upgrade path.....

Steps:

1)  Optional:  Perform individual backups within the VMs.  Call me paranoid but VMs are just like physical machines.  Better safe than sorry....
    2)  SHUTDOWN all VMs.  I would disable auto-start on VMs as well.  Again, just to be safe.
    3)  Backup the Hyper-V Server with WSB, including all VMs.  Upgrading is a high risk task.  Better have as many contingency plans as possible.
    4)  Export all VMs to external/attached storage.  If in-place upgrade fails, I can always perform a clean setup of Hyper-V 2008 R2 server and re-import the VMs.
    5)  Insert HV2008R2 server DVD into the machine (I used a USB flash as none of my servers have DVD/CD drives anymore).  Start setup process and select upgrade instead of custom.

After about 30-40 mins, upgrade is done without a hitch.  First thing to do:  Go to all the individual VMs and update the integrated service packs!!!!!!

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:03 AM