none
How to use bitlocker recovery key-id to unlock the drive

Question

• I forgot bitlocker PIN on Win10. System gives me recovery key-id but I cannot enter characters like F,B,C etc that are included into the key-id. The input field that says "enter key-id" takes digits only. What am I doing wrong?

Ilya

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

These articles may help you, please refer to the link:

Find my BitLocker recovery key

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/566e0e4e-4ca7-4df2-88fb-aa71c00ea55e/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

BitLocker Recovery Guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Typical support response that makes no attempt to read or understand the question being asked.  Provides a cut and paste canned response that in no way responds to  the user.
    Friday, November 23, 2018 6:45 PM
  • As soon as I saw the response from the TechNet employee I immediately became infuriated. I get this problem all the time. Never an answer to my issue, just a generic copy/paste response that has very little, if anything, to do with the actual issue and does not, in any way, present an actual solution to the problem. If you're going to have a forum that is filled with supposed "experts" that you employ and that you pay, probably ridiculous amounts, then how about they actually get off their lazy duffs and try to HELP PEOPLE!
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:00 PM
  • couldn't get recovery key by any method

Monday, February 4, 2019 7:05 AM
  • these guys at microsoft don't even know what they are talking about
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:24 PM
  • Very disappointed i Microsoft Support and your products.  Bit-locker locked up my Win10 for no reason, I have never activated and now just like everyone else here on this forum, no one including the Microsoft experts know anything.

My mistake was buying a Windows machine, when I do a hard reset it will be turned into a Linux operating system which is FREE, never crashes, and free security updates for LIFE, why I ever bought into Windows I will never know.  My banking and ALL secure activity is done on a Linux. 

ANY COMPUTER can be converted to Linux for everyone's info, and with Open Office, who needs Office 365, which by the way is when this weird Bit Locker showed up!  Did Microsoft cause this, I think so.

The good Windows machine I have is an XP which is running great because the day I brought home and loaded it all up, I pulled the Ethernet plug, and it does not have Wi-Fi, so NO VIRUSES or FIXES or UPDATES from Microsoft have ever got to it, and it runs and runs without issues, what does that tell you people!!!

Be smart and dump Windows, its crap in my opinion.

Sunday, March 17, 2019 9:50 PM
  • I have the same problem! My Dell started acting up after Dell updates, had to do a factory reset, and it locked my secondary drive where all my STUFF was stored!!! I even reached out to the techs at BitLocker with no help! Whoever had the great idea to add this to Windows without knowledge, permission or request was a total idiot!
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:17 PM
  • It's two and half years later and there seems to be no answer to this question.  I had to have the motherboard on my laptop replaced, and when I got it back from service, I was met with BitLlocker which I had never asked for nor do I remember activating when I got this new laptop a few months ago.  Like the original poster, I have the "recovery key-id" but the BitLocker screen only recognizes numbers, not letters.  Is there no solution?
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:38 PM
  • I found this page? May it help? Please tell me if you understand.. 

I have the same problem!!

Have a look to:

docs.sophos.com/esg/sgn/8-1/admin/en-us/esg/SafeGuard-Enterprise/tasks/RecoveryBitLockerClient_BLrecoceryID.html

Sunday, June 2, 2019 2:22 PM