Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) Not Functioning After Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Last week I setup a new server with Small Business Server 2011 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Exchange Server 2010).  All was running smooth until Windows Update installed a few updates and messed up the Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE).

When I arrived the next morning Windows was displaying a message about running PSConfig to complete the upgrade.  I checked that the upgrade needed to be applied ((get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade) and then ran the upgrade command, "PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures", from the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN" directory.  After completing the upgrade and rebooting the server I noticed that the Windows Internal Database didn't start.  I checked the NeedsUpgrade command again and it appeared to be a successful upgrade.

I tried manually starting the process from services.msc and it just timed out.  I then tried starting from the command prompt and I got an error:  A service specific error occurred: 5..

The application log provides the following errors every time I attempt to start the service.  See the logs at the bottom of this message.

Here is the link to my PSCDiagnostic log, Update log, and Windows Updates log file:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4DD1102BECDF8589!118&authkey=!ACZDAgh79Xs91-w.  Link is shared via my SkyDrive account.

If you have any questions or need anything else from me please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

---

The description for Event ID 17120 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

FRunCM

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

---

The description for Event ID 17826 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

---

The description for Event ID 17182 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

---

The description for Event ID 17182 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

---

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:59 AM

Answers

All replies