none
Exchange Server 2013 Proxy Address Auto-Reply

Question

• Is it possible to create a custom auto-reply to a single alias or several aliases of a user? Does this feature exist in Exchange Server or not?

It seems like this should be easy enough to do, even if I need to create a custom rule in power shell or something.

For example User A has 10 aliases (proxy addresses) I would like to discourage use of 3 of them.

I would like the mail to be delivered to them but I would like an auto-reply sent to the sender telling them to stop using those addresses.

Is it really necessary create a mailbox for all three aliases, enable forwarding, and enable out-of-office notifications for all three of them? This seems very cumbersome and it is a pain to manage (especially if we're talking about many aliases that may be reassigned to other users).

It seems that it would be much nicer if I can just create auto-reply rules for those three proxy addresses. This way If I need to move the proxy addresses to another user, I could also recreate the auto-reply rule?

There are many use cases for this ranging from terminated employees, old outdated email addresses, preferred email, misspellings, etc.

I don't know if there is a way to do this or not and/or if it is supported.

I can't find anything on the internet explaining if this feature actually exists or not; the only things I could find say that you have to create new mailboxes for every single proxy with out-of-office auto-replies and auto-forwarding.

I understand that the problem can be resolved this way but it seems really cumbersome. Also the system will become more difficult to manage if the problem is resolved this way; since there would be so many mailboxes that need to be reassigned and wouldn't be obviously linked to actual real human users.

Thanks.

Friday, October 13, 2017 3:22 PM

All replies

• That is not a feature.  You could create separate mailboxes for the proxies you want to use different autoreplies for.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, October 14, 2017 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that there're lots of proxy addresses (for example: proxy1@contoso.com, proxy2@contoso.com, proxy3@contoso.com.....) for one single user mailbox, then set a separate auto-reply message for only part of those proxy addresses (for example: proxy1@contoso.com, proxy2@contoso.com)?

As Ed mentioned above, it's not how it works. Actually, it's only one user mailbox even it contains lots of proxy email address. And, the auto-reply setting will apply to user mailbox, instead of e-mail address.
    Thus, we need a separate user mailbox if you want set different auto-reply setting for each user mailbox.

By the way, would you please provide the real purpose of this operation?
    If you want to remind sender some information, we can set a MailTip on this mailbox to achieve it. For example:

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:04 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Yes, like you said; there are mailboxes with many proxy addresses that get identified as proxies and sent on to the main mailbox. The mail still has the recipient as that proxy address though and you can read it in the email header. I guess that they are only one mailbox but the Exchange Server will actually create a few proxy addresses by default for example:

If the user is Jon Doe, the primary address will be jdoe@whatever.com; unless that is taken; if it is, the system will name the primary address as jdoe2@whatever.com.

The default proxy address is usually something like JohnD@whatever.com.

But I can add additional proxy addresses. so long as my server has an MX record for the domain whatever.com; and whatever other domain (e.g. whatever2.com), I can add that domain to my exchange server and I can start receiving mail from that domain also.

I don't actually need to setup that domain in the domain controller to receive mail from there so long as I have that domain added to my exchange server, and the MX record is there, etc.

In my case, I have a secondary domain that is not registered on the domain controller but I've added this domain to the Exchange server.

I have a mail filter device that verifies email addresses using LDAP lookup. I configured the lookup so that proxy addresses can be verified; even if they are from a domain that is not registered on my LDAP server.

So the entirety of my issues are something like that.. But here I'm primarily just asking why I can't send auto-replies from proxy addresses or if this is a feature in exchange or not. 

If I had the domain account jdoe@whatever.com with proxy addresses jdoe15@whatever.com and jdoe@whatever2.com and jdoe15@whatever2.com. It seems easy enough to auto-reply if the user has the ability to send email that shows that it's from any one of these addresses.. It seems you should be able to generate auto-replies from these addresses; I'm not sure if this is the case or not..

Thanks for the reply

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

However, the auto-reply will apply to whole user mailbox.
    Thus, if you want to set auto-reply message for each "proxy address", we need to create a individual mailbox for each "proxy address".

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:58 AM