Passing a value to SSRS reports from PPS, not a description RRS feed

• Question

• I need to pass a value to SSRS report by selecting description from hierarchical filter from PPS.

The dimension table has 7 columns in it. 1 is used as PK. 3 are used to store the value (INT) and rest of 3 are used to store the description of respective value columns.

I have created hierarchy in SSAS2005 and created the Named Sets to populate the hierarchy for PPS. I also have created the dashboard in PPS using SSRS2005 and used the named set filter there.

The requirement:

If I select any of the description from the PPS browser then it should pass the key value of that description into SSRS not the description.

I tried out with various combination of property (Keycolumns, NameColumn & ValueColumn) in dimension before creating a hierarchy but I didn’t get the desired result.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong here. Thanks in advance.

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:24 AM

Answers

• Then it sounds like your SSRS report is not a OLAP report or the parameter is not OLAP related.  If that is the case then you will simply setup the link in your dashboard to use the Display Value as the Source value instead of Member UniqueName.  This will pass the text that is being displayed instead of the fully qualified SSAS member.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, April 16, 2010 1:08 PM
  • If I am understanding this correctly you have an SSAS based filter and you are attempting to pass the value selected to an SSRS OLAP based report that has a parameter defined that you can utilized as an endpoint.

In associating the filter to the SSRS report you will want to utilize the filters MemberUniqueName and link this to your SSRS report parameter.  In order to see what is going on as you are doing this you can utilize a Profiler Trace against the SSAS instance to ensure everything is being passed properly.

Take a look at this posting here - How do I integrate SSRS Reports with Dashboard Filters

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by JanakaV Monday, April 19, 2010 9:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Monday, March 7, 2011 9:28 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:25 AM

All replies

• If I am understanding this correctly you have an SSAS based filter and you are attempting to pass the value selected to an SSRS OLAP based report that has a parameter defined that you can utilized as an endpoint.

In associating the filter to the SSRS report you will want to utilize the filters MemberUniqueName and link this to your SSRS report parameter.  In order to see what is going on as you are doing this you can utilize a Profiler Trace against the SSAS instance to ensure everything is being passed properly.

Take a look at this posting here - How do I integrate SSRS Reports with Dashboard Filters

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by JanakaV Monday, April 19, 2010 9:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Monday, March 7, 2011 9:28 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:25 AM
  • I already tried with the same option but in SSRS it is taking as entire path of the hierarchy not the value of that element.

Any other solution, do you have?

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Then it sounds like your SSRS report is not a OLAP report or the parameter is not OLAP related.  If that is the case then you will simply setup the link in your dashboard to use the Display Value as the Source value instead of Member UniqueName.  This will pass the text that is being displayed instead of the fully qualified SSAS member.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, April 16, 2010 1:08 PM