none
Windows 10 Pro: multi-user folder permissions

Question

• Hello,

If this is the incorrect forum to post this question, I apologize.  Please let me know the appropriate one.

I am running a small company with about 10-people.  Each staff member has their own computer running Windows 10 Pro.  We have a central file server which everyone accesses to load and save their work.  However, I wish to restrict access and visibility to certain folders on the file server, where only particular users who are working in these folders can see them and have read/write access.

I have tried using Computer Management > Groups, but it seems that I can only add users which have accounts present on my machine only.

I would like to be able to administer all of the users from my machine and assign different folder permissions to each of them.

On Windows 10 Pro, is this possible?  Or do I need to think about getting a Server edition?

Thank you for any help.

Monday, July 2, 2018 4:19 AM

All replies

• In order to do this you would need a centralised permissions system. What are you using as your file server? Is it a Windows Server device or a NAS box of some kind?

Some NAS boxes allow you to set up user accounts and assign permissions to the folders (Synology does this very well), in which case the users would have to enter their NAS username/password (and select to save it on their PC) to access the restricted folders.

A better (but more costly) way to do this would be to introduce an Active Directory server (Domain Controller) and join all of your PC's to the domain, then you can centrally control security and access.

Rich

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:15 PM