none
Why % Plan activities in having more progress than %Complete? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

I am using the following formula to calculate the % Planned activities supposed to be completed as today:

Int(IIf([Current Date]<[Baseline Start],0,IIf([Current Date]>[Baseline Finish],1,ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Current Date],[Project Calendar])/[Baseline Duration])*100))

However the %Complete is showing more progress than the Planned, the problem is I don't have any task completed in advance to the plan, then the expected % progress is less than the plan.

If I apply the same formulation with Start, Finish and duration (Actual+forecasting) the result looks better.

Int(IIf([Current Date]<[Start],0,IIf([Current Date]>[Finish],1,ProjDateDiff([Start],[Current Date],[Project Calendar])/[Duration])*100))

Any advice? I am understanding %Complete wrong?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:42 PM

Answers

• Cesar.amaro,

I'm not sure what your "understanding" is with regard to % Complete but for a given task it is simply:

% Complete = (Actual Duration)/Duration x 100%

Or, if the Update Project utility is used to report progress through the current date, the following formula in a custom field will give the result.

Text1=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Current Date])+[Minutes Per Day])/[Duration]*100 & " %"

And for a summary line percent complete is calculated as:

% Complete of summary line = (sum of Actual Durations of all subtasks)/(sum of Durations of all subtasks) x 100%

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by cesar.amaro Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Cesar,

I don't quite understand your first sentence. Percent work complete will of course be zero if none of the tasks have any work associated with them, or, if there is work but no actual work. Note, Project will allow the user to enter a work value even though no resource is assigned. That might be useful if you are setting up a plan and have estimates for duration and work but have not as yet decided who will be assigned to perform the work.

I don't quite follow your two formulas. You mention using actual values but I don't see that represented in either formula. Also, using the ProjDatDiff function measures the time difference from one date TO another date whereas a percent complete calculated by Project takes progress from a date THROUGH another date. That's why an extra day (i.e. minutes per day) is added to the formula for Text1 shown earlier.

John

• Edited by John - Project Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:23 AM more
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:22 AM

All replies

• Cesar.amaro,

I'm not sure what your "understanding" is with regard to % Complete but for a given task it is simply:

% Complete = (Actual Duration)/Duration x 100%

Or, if the Update Project utility is used to report progress through the current date, the following formula in a custom field will give the result.

Text1=(ProjDateDiff([Start],[Current Date])+[Minutes Per Day])/[Duration]*100 & " %"

And for a summary line percent complete is calculated as:

% Complete of summary line = (sum of Actual Durations of all subtasks)/(sum of Durations of all subtasks) x 100%

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your answer, I am using %Complete field to represent the %project progress, I understand formula for this field however I want to know if that is a correct use of this field, or I need to use another one or a custom field.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:53 AM
  • cesar.amaro,

The % Work Complete field is a much better measure of progress. Why? Because percent complete is based on duration and the passage of time (i.e. duration) does not accomplish anything, (except perhaps with a broken heart or healing of a wound). On the other hand work does accomplish something and that makes percent work complete a much better measure of progress.

John

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks again to give me more information, I have the impression that is better to use %WC however I have some issues in the summary task that is not presenting the global progress, only for sub task, is this issue because I don't have resources assigned to task? or any other cause?

Thanks again

Cesar

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Cesar,

Can you give an example of the "issues" you see?

At summary level, the percent work complete is:

Summary % work complete = (sum of actual work for all subtasks)/(sum of work for all subtasks) x 100%

John

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Hi John, 

Basically the issue is %WC is only showing information for Summary tasks (activities with sub activities) when I put information in resource name.

What do you think if I use the same formula I am using for % Planned Activities but using Actual parameters?

%Plan

Int(IIf([Current Date]<[Baseline Start],0,IIf([Current Date]>[Baseline Finish],1,ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Current Date],[Project Calendar])/[Baseline Duration])*100))

%Completed

Int(IIf([Current Date]<[Start],0,IIf([Current Date]>[Finish],1,ProjDateDiff([Start],[Current Date],[Project Calendar])/[Duration])*100))

Thanks for your recommendations

Cesar

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:28 PM
  • Cesar,

I don't quite understand your first sentence. Percent work complete will of course be zero if none of the tasks have any work associated with them, or, if there is work but no actual work. Note, Project will allow the user to enter a work value even though no resource is assigned. That might be useful if you are setting up a plan and have estimates for duration and work but have not as yet decided who will be assigned to perform the work.

I don't quite follow your two formulas. You mention using actual values but I don't see that represented in either formula. Also, using the ProjDatDiff function measures the time difference from one date TO another date whereas a percent complete calculated by Project takes progress from a date THROUGH another date. That's why an extra day (i.e. minutes per day) is added to the formula for Text1 shown earlier.

John

• Edited by John - Project Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:23 AM more
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:22 AM