Will boot part of programs but nothing works in normal mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell with Windows Home Premium SP 2 32 bit desk top.  It has a Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 ghz and 3 gig ram.  It has started freezing up and then I have to hard boot it because it will stay that way with no icons working.  When I reboot it will start normally then all of my programs will not boot and nothing works, not the start button nothing.  I can re-boot in safe mode with networking and all is fine.  I can open all programs and work fine in safe mode.  I have went to support and run a chkdsk/f in cmd mode and sfc/scannow and all is well.  I have run my antivirus and malware programs, I have two of each because I do not trust just one, and boot scans. Nothing all is well.  I have also done a clean start,  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 , no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:16 PM

All replies

• "Cassandra67" wrote in message news:e6300a24-37b2-4c04-a67f-39fab9d0f25c...
    I have a Dell with Windows Home Premium SP 2 32 bit desk top.  It has a Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 ghz and 3 gig ram.  It has started freezing up and then I have to hard boot it because it will stay that way with no icons working.  When I reboot it will start normally then all of my programs will not boot and nothing works, not the start button nothing.  I can re-boot in safe mode with networking and all is fine.  I can open all programs and work fine in safe mode.  I have went to support and run a chkdsk/f in cmd mode and sfc/scannow and all is well.  I have run my antivirus and malware programs, I have two of each because I do not trust just one, and boot scans. Nothing all is well.  I have also done a clean start,  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 , no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?

If you have two Anti-Virus programs running in real-time mode, then that is your problem.
    They are fighting each other for access to the same resources.
    Disable (or preferably uninstall) one to test.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:21 AM
  • I will have to try that next time because it decided to boot. When it did boot the first thing I seen was IE has stopped working so I ended it and it booted, I use google so it does not matter to me if it works or not. I do not have both of my virus checkers installed, sorry for the confusion I use House call as a second and it is web based.  I ran it in safe mode with networking yesterday after avast pro and iobit pro malware fighter. Thank you for your help and idea.  I will try it next time if it happens again.  

My confuser is my favorite thing to use my head on..

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:38 PM
  • "Cassandra67" wrote in message news:8c4b2f5d-0607-4606-a3c2-c308f5646789...
    I will have to try that next time because it decided to boot. When it did boot the first thing I seen was IE has stopped working so I ended it and it booted, I use google so it does not matter to me if it works or not. I do not have both of my virus checkers installed, sorry for the confusion I use House call as a second and it is web based.  I ran it in safe mode with networking yesterday after avast pro and iobit pro malware fighter. Thank you for your help and idea.  I will try it next time if it happens again.  

IOBit? I have less respect for their software than for Norton - and many in these forums can tell you what I think of them!

OK so as I understand it you have
    1) Anti-virus:_
            Avast Pro
            Trend HouseCall
    2) Anti-Malware
            IOBit (somethingorother - Malware Fighter?)
            Something else??

Using HouseCall as a backup for Avast is a good thing - since it's not a resident protection program, merely a scanner.

IOBit software I would avoid in general - I hope you haven't been tempted to use their 'Registry Cleaner' as well, as it would be better described as a 'Registry trasher'

What other security or 'optimisation' tools are you using?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I use the what come with Windows Vista to clean and optimize my computer, I manually delete cookies and I have never used the iobits registry cleaner, just the malware scanner.  I use nothing else on my system.  Norton and McAfee have never caused me nothing but trouble.  I did do a clean reboot when all of this was going on and it made no difference.  I turned off all non-windows programs and it still acted the same.  It is a hair pulling glich for sure.

Cassandra

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:45 PM
  • "Cassandra67" wrote in message news:c2afa748-a85e-480c-850e-c585e0b6ebf8...

I use the what come with Windows Vista to clean and optimize my computer, I manually delete cookies and I have never used the iobits registry cleaner, just the malware scanner.  I use nothing else on my system.  Norton and McAfee have never caused me nothing but trouble.  I did do a clean reboot when all of this was going on and it made no difference.  I turned off all non-windows programs and it still acted the same.  It is a hair pulling glich for sure.

You said earlier that you had two malware programs - this time you say that you only have IOBit.
    Which is it?

I would suggest that you download and install the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (www.mlawarebytes.org) Update it, but do NOT enable the real-time protection offer. Run a Full System scan and remove everything it finds.

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:13 AM
  •  Avast and IObits both have a malware scanner, that would be 2. OK I will load it and run it and let you know the results.

Cassandra

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I removes the 2 that it found both were trojans.

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:37 PM
  • OK - has that made any difference to your problems? (I would not expect it in view of the result)

Random freezes are often the result of hardware problems - check your RAM using MemTest86+ www.memtest.org . Run it for at least a couple of hours.

Check thet your system cooling is effective  - download one of the many utilities which can display your CPU and GPU temperatures, and see if they are getting critical, and perhaps reducing speed as a result.

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer which may give some idea as to what's causing the problem?

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:58 PM
  •  I checked it all and right now all is well.  I will keep a watch and see if there are any spikes before the freezes.  At this point I will not rule nothing out.  I also went in and found a program I did not download, my husband might have, Free Download manager so I uninstalled it.  Nothing free is ever free in downloads I have found.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:46 PM
  • "Cassandra67" wrote in message news:a4b94e74-2d05-4703-a855-200f40ad89d0...
    I checked it all and right now all is well.  I will keep a watch and see if there are any spikes before the freezes.  At this point I will not rule nothing out.  I also went in and found a program I did not download, my husband might have, Free Download manager so I uninstalled it.  Nothing free is ever free in downloads I have found.

Free Download Manager is possibly the source of the trojans - there are a couple with the same name, and one is fine, while the others are fairly horrendous, and some downright malware. Without knowing the exact version and source (and since you've now uninstalled it) it is impossible to tell.

Good Luck!

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:53 PM