none
Splitting tasks that have over 80 hours into detailed tasks and rebaselining RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2007 non server.

We are using the schedule to generate SPI and CPI numbers for monthly reporting and have a requirement to supply our customer a monthly cost report at the 3rd level.  The resources have assigned rates.  The schedule contains 1000s of tasks.  We have several tasks that are over 80 hours and have been directed to add detailed tasking for all tasks that are over 80 hours.  This schedule start date was about 8 months ago and has been baselined.  Some of the tasks that are over 80 hours have progress against them. 

My question is what is the proper way to handle this adjustment?

Do I:

1-Close out the tasks that have progress

2-Add the detailed tasks under 80 hours

3-Rebaseline the tasks that were closed out and baseline the new task 

Or do I complete 1 and 2 above but don't do anything with the baseline.

Please advise best practice and what I can expect from the SPI/CPI.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

CJ

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 11:25 AM

Answers

• Charlie,

You're welcome.

With regard to the in-progress tasks, if you do not re-rebaseline then the earned value metrics will be skewed, could be by a little or could be by a lot depending on how close the tasks were to finishing and how well they performed to date. As soon as you zero out the remaining work and reset the baseline, CPI and SPI for the task will go to 1. That should be acceptable given the change in scope. The new detail tasks will then take up the new metrics.

Hope this helps

John

• Marked as answer by CharlieJolene Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:31 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:04 PM

All replies

• Charlie,

You may get several opinions on the best way to handle this. This would be my approach.

For the 80h+ tasks that already have progress, how many are there compared to how many have not been started? If there are only a few, you might consider asking your customer if you can just let those tasks complete as it. It will be a lot easier and I'm guessing there are probably already some 80h+ tasks that have been completed. However, if your customer doesn't see it that way, I would note the remaining work on those in-progress tasks. Use that data to create one or more detailed tasks. Set a baseline on the new tasks and set the remaining work on the in-progress tasks to zero to close them out.

The unstarted 80h+ tasks are easy. Simply re-configure them to reflect more detail and then re-baseline those.

As far as the impact to SPI and CPI, you will see some changes, but those changes should be consistent with the change in scope. It would be a good idea to document the change in the Notes field of any tasks that were re-configured.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Thanks John.  That was the approach I was considering.  

Just for clarification, on the tasks that are in progress and I am creating new tasks for, Would I leave the baseline as is for those or would I re-baseline these as well after I have set remaining work to 0?

Thanks for the guidance.

CharlieJo

Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Charlie,

You're welcome.

With regard to the in-progress tasks, if you do not re-rebaseline then the earned value metrics will be skewed, could be by a little or could be by a lot depending on how close the tasks were to finishing and how well they performed to date. As soon as you zero out the remaining work and reset the baseline, CPI and SPI for the task will go to 1. That should be acceptable given the change in scope. The new detail tasks will then take up the new metrics.

Hope this helps

John

• Marked as answer by CharlieJolene Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:31 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:04 PM
  • Thanks so much for the information.  I will re-baseline the in progress tasks that I set to 0 remaining work. 
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:31 PM