Sharepoint articles extraction RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to sharepoint. I am doing a data mining project using Java. It needs to extract all the accessible documents from Sharepoint. We are using Sharepoint 2007. I have generated Lists.wsdl and extracted documents using soap. Users can upload documents in document library, Document center, Sites, shared documents, etc. Is there any common location to get documents uploaded in all these paths. Please help me.

Thanks

Sruthy

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Sruthy,

SharePoint does not dictate its users to upload/store documents in a centralized location; instead, it is structured to provide flexibility for users to design the logical document storage/management heirarchy that are tailored to their business model.  So the answer to your question is no.

For your project, perhaps keeping a list of sites and document libraries inside them in some form for your data mining code to query through would be easier.  Or if all the documents are stored in a list that is of document library type, then you can also return all the lists on the sites that are of typeID 101.

Cheers,

Jeff

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Sruthy,

SharePoint does not dictate its users to upload/store documents in a centralized location; instead, it is structured to provide flexibility for users to design the logical document storage/management heirarchy that are tailored to their business model.  So the answer to your question is no.

For your project, perhaps keeping a list of sites and document libraries inside them in some form for your data mining code to query through would be easier.  Or if all the documents are stored in a list that is of document library type, then you can also return all the lists on the sites that are of typeID 101.

Cheers,

Jeff

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:39 PM
  • I'd also ask what version of Sharepoint you're using?  Although I don't like discussing 2010 in the pre 2010 forums, there's some options there that might help you out with this query.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:13 PM
    Answerer