Server Services not started message appearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can i get sollution for the below

Problem: unable to open/access shared drive – error message is showing “server service is not started”,  We are facing this problem in 5 laptops after installation of VPN.

I have gone through below TS steps

I Have extract a new copy of the Srvsvc.dll file from the Windows XP disk to the %systemroot%\system32 folder on the computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP disk into the computer's CD drive. Press and hold down SHIFT as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation process from starting automatically.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type expand CD drive:\i386\srvsvc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32\srvsvc.dll, and then press ENTER.
    4. After the command runs successfully, click OK.
    5. To close the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    6. Restart the computer.

Referred article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922376

Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:53 AM

Answers

• The problem will be on the computer that you are sharing from (for example a server), not on the computers that are trying to access the share.  Look on the 'server' computer in the Services applet to see if the service is indeed started.  Was the VPN installed onto this server?  If so, did you use the RRAS wizard to configure this, as I believe it also applies some port filtering, so the problem may not be that the server service isn't started, it might be that the workstations cannot communicate with the server service.

Alan Moseley
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:32 AM