Shared Mailbox missing from profile on some network PCs, but not all RRS feed

• Question

• Company email set-up:

CPanel email - connected to SBS 2011 and Exchange Server 2010 via POPcon. The with issues is running Windows 7 and Outlook 2013.

Client should be able to access personal emails and two shared mailboxes. However, when logging on last week only the personal email account was available. Cannot see any connectivity issues being flagged up. Outlook tells us it's connected to Exchange and that everything is fine.

What's stranger is that if we log in using the same profile but on another PC, then the shared mailboxes appear. And that seems to be the case whether the client is Windows 7/8/10 (we have various PCs of varying ages). And, if I log in on the problem PC with a different profile which should have access to the same mailboxes, they also appear as they should.

Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.

Monday, October 1, 2018 3:50 PM

Answers

• Turns out it was a router fault. We lost internet access yesterday and then everything went down.

New router in this morning and everything came good.

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by kokomo89 Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, Outlook use AutoMapping feature to automatically show shared mailbox in your profile. AutoMapping relies on AutoDiscover. We could test this feature when issue occurs. Please check the steps below.

1. Open Outlook. Hold Ctrl key and right click the small icon in the system tray.

2. Choose “Test E-mail AutoConfiguration…”.

3. Input your Email account and password. Only select “Use AutoDiscover” and then click Test.

4. Check if the result returned succeeded under Log tab.

In addition to Outlook auto-mapping, we could also open shared mailbox manually. Please refer to the details in this link.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Perry,

Thank you very much. I did the AutoConfig test and the Log came back with the same "Succeeded" line you had posted above. So I guess that's some good news.

However, I had a look at the Results tab and things didn't seem so good there. I noticed that the protocol being used to connect to Exchange is "Exchange RPC" and "Exchange HTTP". It didn't seem right to me so I ran the same test on my PC (I have no problems accessing the elusive mailboxes) and mine is using IMAP and SMTP.

Turns out I'm not allowed to post an image on here so you'll have to take my word for it. But do you have any ideas why this might be? Or what I might do to put it right?

Regarding adding the mailboxes manually, I think we have done this a year or so ago as a temporary fix when our server went down and it wasn't too smooth. We found that when sharing a mailbox not everyone was seeing the same version of it at the same time. Would this be the case if I followed the instructions in your link? Or would it behave as if I had added it through Exchange on the server?

Kind regards,

Sam

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:46 AM
  • Turns out it was a router fault. We lost internet access yesterday and then everything went down.

New router in this morning and everything came good.

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by kokomo89 Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:52 AM
  • So glad to see that your issue has been solved :-)

If you have other questions, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:26 AM