copy xp pro sp3 disc onto pen drive using windows 7 computer, and have it be bootable. Possible? if so how? RRS feed

• Question

• copy xp pro sp3 disc onto pen drive using windows 7 computer, and have it be bootable. Possible? if so how?

mark a ashcroft

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• No.  Windows XP will only run properly on a conventional internal hard drive.  Windows 7 users can download the free Windows XP Mode if they have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.  Windows 7 Home Premium would have to purchase a Windows Anytime Upgrade: Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:15 AM
  • Sorry dont think i explained myself very well there. Yes it would be stupid to try to run windows off a pen drive it would be far too slow speeds for it to work. Ill explain much more deeply now....

I have a computer running windows 7 home premium, (will be getting windows 8 pre-release possibly when ive checked it out). My girlfriend has a dell dimension 3100 from 2006 (absolute peice of crap, ive told her to scrap it and get a £200 computer from somewhere but cant convince her....maybe  any posters could agree with me and get her to get something else) her windows is corrupted, and it has a virus which wont let you access anything including the internet. Seems to get a new virus every couple of months or so and it has been backwards and forwards to the computer shop.

Ordered a windows xp pro sp 3 disc off ebay with new product key because there doesnt seem to be a dell symantic restore (ctrl+f11).

Oh GOD im a bit dumb it would take just as long to copy the xp onto a pen drive as it would to put the xp onto the dells hard drive anyway wouldnt it?

the idea was to use the windows 7 computer to put the xp onto a bootable pen drive and then use the pen drive to load the xp onto the Dell 

mark a ashcroft

Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry to the Windows XP recovery experts found in the Windows XP Install, Upgrade and Activate Forum.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch

Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:53 PM
  • ok, thanks

mark a ashcroft

Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:53 PM