"The selected printer cannot be renamed. This operation is not supported" in Print Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We are trying to add many print queue to windows 2008 r2 sp1 print cluster in batch mode. What we are doing is to run the powershell scripts to create 100 print queue in standalone print server (windows 2008 R2 sp1 also). After that, export it to the file and re-import to the print cluster. However, all print queue which is importing from standalone is out of control. For example, it cannot be re-named(The selected printer cannot be renamed. This operation is not supported), cannot change the port. If I create the print queue in print cluster manually, there have no problems. Do anyone have idea about this issues?

Thanks,

MP user

• Edited by MP User Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:53 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• Its not so much as a bug as a misunderstanding. When you installed the printers on the stand alone server - the attribute assigned were defined as such:

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_SHARED         0x00000008

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_LOCAL          0x00000040

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_ENABLE_BIDI    0x00000800

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_DO_COMPLETE_FIRST 0x00000200

(These values were taken from the Windows SDK)

When you imported the printers into the cluster, a cluster doesn't understand what a local printer is - as theres no way for it to connect to a local printer.

Removing the second attribute, it becomes a valid Network printer and is useable by the Clustered Spooler.

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• I found that if I have changed the below registry key > Take offline/online for the print cluster application, it will work. But I don't know why the attrubites cannot be changed using printer migration wizard...Is it a bug for Microsoft Print Cluster?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Cluster\Resources\(print spooler GUID)\Parameters\Printers\Printer

Attributes from 0x00000a48 

Change to 0x00000a08

• Proposed as answer by Adam Richards Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:41 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Its not so much as a bug as a misunderstanding. When you installed the printers on the stand alone server - the attribute assigned were defined as such:

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_SHARED         0x00000008

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_LOCAL          0x00000040

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_ENABLE_BIDI    0x00000800

#define PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_DO_COMPLETE_FIRST 0x00000200

(These values were taken from the Windows SDK)

When you imported the printers into the cluster, a cluster doesn't understand what a local printer is - as theres no way for it to connect to a local printer.

Removing the second attribute, it becomes a valid Network printer and is useable by the Clustered Spooler.

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:41 PM