none
Windows 7 Clients Will Not Process GPO Startup Script

Question

• I have the following GPO startup script configured to install a browser on Windows 7 clients:

\\domain.inc\NETLOGON\script.cmd

It contains the following line:

msiexec /i \\domain.inc\NETLOGON\program.msi /qn

After not seeing the browser installed after several restarts, I ran the Group Policy Results Wizard to see what was broken. Everything looks fine and the GPO is being processed. The startup script simply will not run. It works fine if you log in and launch the script manually from the NETLOGON share. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The domain controllers are Server 2012 R2 running at Server 2003 domain functional level.

Thank you!
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:34 AM

All replies

• I have the following GPO startup script configured to install a browser on Windows 7 clients:

\\domain.inc\NETLOGON\script.cmd

It contains the following line:

msiexec /i \\domain.inc\NETLOGON\program.msi /qn

After not seeing the browser installed after several restarts, I ran the Group Policy Results Wizard to see what was broken. Everything looks fine and the GPO is being processed. The startup script simply will not run. It works fine if you log in and launch the script manually from the NETLOGON share. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The domain controllers are Server 2012 R2 running at Server 2003 domain functional level.

Thank you!

Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Contact the vendor.  Many browser can only install in an interactive session

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Also startup scripts can run before the network is available.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 08, 2016 6:55 AM
  • The quiet install works fine once the script is launched manually (logged in as an administrator). It seems as though there is maybe a permissions issue with the system account running the script at startup.
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention this works fine with Windows 8.1 clients.
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi,
    Please check if MS16-072 is installed on windows 7 clients and domain controllers which might cause user group policy not working, if that is the case, please use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO). If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission. Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3163622
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 09, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:10 AM