Product Keys and Virtual Machine environments RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 8 and I want to test the 8.1 Preview update before unleashing it on to my PC, myt reason is many websites are saying that a full rebuilt will be required if Preview is installed before the full release but if only Win 8 is installed, the full release version will be upgradable.

The issue I have is that I only have one valid licence key for Windows 8 and installing that into a new VM from my Windows 8 disc requires the licence key. I don't know if I will be breaching Terms and Conditions, it states for use on one PC but as my VM in on the PC does this allow me to use it twice at the same time?

This is for test purpose and I must replicate real world scenarios for this, I will be upgrading to 8.1 full when it is released on the my real live machine so I testing it all out in VM Player first.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:07 PM

Answers

• If you download the Windows 8.1 iso file, there's a product key for you to use for the preview on one of the web pages you see, you don't need a separate key. 

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

• Marked as answer by Judy_Zhou Monday, July 29, 2013 7:23 AM
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

You can use this key NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F. Please refer to Download Windows 8.1 Preview.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:25 AM

All replies

• If you download the Windows 8.1 iso file, there's a product key for you to use for the preview on one of the web pages you see, you don't need a separate key. 

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

You can use this key NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F. Please refer to Download Windows 8.1 Preview.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:25 AM