locked
"Alert Me" sends to NT users by not External users RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a WSS 3.0 site, with a list where Alert Me alerts are setup when "Anything Changes"  to send an email immediately.

    Internal NT users receive the email, but external users (membership provider) do not receive the email.

    Some interesting facts:

    1. when I setup the Alert me for an external users, I enter in the external users username. We always use the email address for the username so I would enter in someone@mail.com. The account underlines, no errors occur, the external users gets the notice saying they have subscribed to and alert, appears everything will work meaning email flows form SharePoint engine to the external email box. But the immediate trigger does not send to the external user, but sends to internal ones fine.

    2. We have 1 web application extended to a use a membership provider. In the "Site Actions" "Site Settings" "User Alerts" under the Display alets for combo, I can see the alert for our user and it shows as webnetsqlmembershipprovider:someuser@mail.com which the webnetsqlmembershipprovider is our membership provdier name, and the someuser@mail.com is the user account. the alerts show up with a frequency: Immediate. but the immediate trigger does not send. when I look at the smtp logs on that sharepoint server, I do not see an entry.

    So I fear I need to look into some guts as the event log does not appear to show any errors that point to alerts.

     

    Idea's I have

    But I am not sure where to start, It almost seems like the timer works fine, sees a trigger for immediate fires, and send all the emails it can, fails sending the membership provider user emails, but succeeds sending the AD user emails. Unfortunately there looks to be no error trapping in SPS for failed immediate trigger "alert me" emails. The accounts would seem fine otherwise when setting up the alert me alerts, the "you signed up for an alert" emails would never be received by the membership provider accounts.

     

    What I have done

    I have rebooted the server, looked at event logs, looked at SMTP logs

     

    Has anyone ever seen this? any ideas on where to turn?


    Jay
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:26 PM

Answers

  • OK, So testing I did the following

    1. logged in as a domain user http://wss.domain.com/site/ and signed up for Alert Me for all changes, then logged in to http://wss.domain.com:1234/site/ using a Membership provider user  and also signed up for an alert me. Different email address. Created an item and waited for the alerts to happen. The domain users received the alert, the membership provider user did not.
    2. I tried the same test from a couple other sites under the same share point app, same result.
    3. Rebooted the server, and appears to be working now.

    Microsoft - who would want a perfect family, what would you have to talk about for fix?

    I am trying to find out some diagnostic utilities that will actual allow a debug type log with out installing visual studio and setting up debugging on a production server. there has got to be something out there, tried the ones that are in the admin web site and nothing on the my alert immediate alerting triggers and events.


    Jay
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

  • Another note: In the email smtp logs I see the "An alert for xyz has been created" but I do not see any other messages. Note sure how to check to see if SharePoint actually sent the outgoing mail server (our exchange server different box" an attempt to send an email.
    Jay
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:52 AM
  • OK, So testing I did the following

    1. logged in as a domain user http://wss.domain.com/site/ and signed up for Alert Me for all changes, then logged in to http://wss.domain.com:1234/site/ using a Membership provider user  and also signed up for an alert me. Different email address. Created an item and waited for the alerts to happen. The domain users received the alert, the membership provider user did not.
    2. I tried the same test from a couple other sites under the same share point app, same result.
    3. Rebooted the server, and appears to be working now.

    Microsoft - who would want a perfect family, what would you have to talk about for fix?

    I am trying to find out some diagnostic utilities that will actual allow a debug type log with out installing visual studio and setting up debugging on a production server. there has got to be something out there, tried the ones that are in the admin web site and nothing on the my alert immediate alerting triggers and events.


    Jay
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:58 PM
  • The problem is very clear that the SharePoint sending alert to internal users not to the external users. It seems the problem in the exchange server configuration or in the firewall settings. Check with your exchange experts.

    1. Check whether the email is delivered to the external user if mail send by using outlook or any other tool.

    2. Check the firewall setting in the exchange server.

     

     


    Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, January 10, 2011 5:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jaywalkerdotnet Monday, January 10, 2011 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:03 AM