PLEASE HELP... why so many Event Viewer errors? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone. I'm looking at these Errors and warnings in my Event Viewer and I can't understand or find a thing that helps my particular system.

I would be so forever grateful if some of the professionals here can take a look at my erros/warnings and just let me know if i should be concerned. And if you have the time, maybe provide some input for a possible solution for those i should be concerned for?

OHH!! PRETTY PLEASE! Two weeks of nothing is hurting man!

So here's is were my concern lies within event viewer...

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

After some searching I've read a couple of recommendations for skydrive and saved the event viewer files here.

http://sdrv.ms/11S6lvF

If you'd rather i save each error/warning in a txt or jpg... just say (type) the words and you will receive them.

Everyone. I would really appreciate all your help. THANK YOU !!!!!!!

• Edited by CUACHICQUEH Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:27 AM

Answers

• Looking at your logs I do not think you have any real need for concern.

Most of the incidents recorded are minor  and related to your internet activity. You are encountered periodic problems accessing web sites. Most users see these when dns servers fail to respond. If they are not resolved  easily, resetting the router usually gets the problem resolved.

You are probably seeing "Aw Snap" messages messages when using Chrome. They seem to be an irritant rather than a real problem. They could be caused by unresolved bugs in Chrome or bugs in the web sites you are visiting.

When trying to discover what is the cause of your "problems" you have found the Diagnostics-Performance log in Event Viewer. These Reports are an attempt by Microsoft to provide a means whereby users can measure statistically Boot, Shutdown, Standby and Desktop Window Manager performance in terms of how long these operations take to complete.

In setting up these Diagnostic reports Microsoft have created a situation where the various levels  of performance are not put into context. Thus reports are described as Critical and Error when the reality is that they are not. They report showing slower times to complete the operation when compared to the time taken on another computer. If you take these reports at face value you can believe that your computer is about to fail when that is unlikely to be the outcome. The terms Critical, Error and Warning have more significance when you are looking at the System and Application logs. You will find a lack of consistency with the use of these terms throughout the reports produced by Event Viewer.

Your Boot time in the Diagnostic-Performance is usually placed at the Warning level. This is fine. On this computer most boot reports are Error and quite often they are Critical. It's all down to what software the user has decided to install. The main boot report is Event ID:100. From time to time to you may see reports numbered 101 to 109. These highlight a particular feature of the corresponding Event ID: 100 report. Unless you see one of these reports repeating each time you boot they can be safely disregarded.

Hope this helps, Gerry

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, February 11, 2013 8:22 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:23 AM

All replies

• No blue screen o' death here.

Maybe i should have been a bit more specific but i was afraid of scaring off potential advice.

** Here are my specs:  **

- Dell XPS8300-7008NBK -

Win 7 Pro 64 bit (Clean Install)

Intel i7 2600

AMD HD Radeon 6770

8GB Ram

1TB HDD 7200 RPM

1.5TB HDD "Same specs"

Split Page files to fixed 6GB on each HDD

Anti-Virus = Avast Free

I.E's = Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer 9

Everything is updated... Drivers, Software n' all

Games currently playing = Star Craft 2 and TESV (Skyrim) - Although SC2 is installed this is a recently restored system and have only played Skyrim.

I Clean installed Windows and Office 2010 then made a restore image using "Acronis True Image". This will explain the jumps in dates within the file - e.i. 6/2012 Jumps to 2/2013 (Do Note: I restored this system in hopes to fix these errors.)

Although I have no Blue Screen of Death, crashes to the desktop do seem to occur while playing Skyrim. However sometimes the event id errors don't' match the time the game was running. This is what concerns me most. 

Example - I previously thought "EVENT ID 500" was caused do to the use of modified game add-ons for SKYRIM. but the EVENT ID still occured even after the restore of the system with no modified files. If I have no concrete proof of a application being the cause of a problem, where do i start?

I'm pullin my hair out and going insane hEre..ahAhhhAAHahAhAh..... Y. O. Y!?! Don't take her from me! Gonzo!

If there is anything else you are anyone else may need from me just ask and i will provide. Thank you so much for your response. All are appreciated :)  

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Please upload and share copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Done.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=afb733de6eb4cd78&id=AFB733DE6EB4CD78!114

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

if there is anything else you need, just ask. I'll even consider giving you my social security number.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Hi ,

Does the issue remain in Clean Boot mode?

If the issue persists, please take a boot trace via Xperf command.

1.Install the Windows Performance Toolkit first.

Please download it via this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimmymay/archive/2009/11/24/xperf-install-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-with-242mb-download-not-2-5gb-windows-7-sdk-part-2.aspx

This blog has the steps to download the ‘bare minimum’ to get the WPT toolkit.

2.Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd, and then click Run as administrator. Run xbootmgr -trace boot -traceflags BASE+CSWITCH+DISK_IO_INIT command.

The system will reboot after you present this command.

3.An etl file named boot_BASE+SWITCH+DISK_IO_INIT.etl will be saved in “%systemroot%\system32”, please upload it to SkyDrive.

This article for your reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jeff_stokes/archive/2009/12/18/why-do-i-have-long-boot-times.aspx

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Looking at your logs I do not think you have any real need for concern.

Most of the incidents recorded are minor  and related to your internet activity. You are encountered periodic problems accessing web sites. Most users see these when dns servers fail to respond. If they are not resolved  easily, resetting the router usually gets the problem resolved.

You are probably seeing "Aw Snap" messages messages when using Chrome. They seem to be an irritant rather than a real problem. They could be caused by unresolved bugs in Chrome or bugs in the web sites you are visiting.

When trying to discover what is the cause of your "problems" you have found the Diagnostics-Performance log in Event Viewer. These Reports are an attempt by Microsoft to provide a means whereby users can measure statistically Boot, Shutdown, Standby and Desktop Window Manager performance in terms of how long these operations take to complete.

In setting up these Diagnostic reports Microsoft have created a situation where the various levels  of performance are not put into context. Thus reports are described as Critical and Error when the reality is that they are not. They report showing slower times to complete the operation when compared to the time taken on another computer. If you take these reports at face value you can believe that your computer is about to fail when that is unlikely to be the outcome. The terms Critical, Error and Warning have more significance when you are looking at the System and Application logs. You will find a lack of consistency with the use of these terms throughout the reports produced by Event Viewer.

Your Boot time in the Diagnostic-Performance is usually placed at the Warning level. This is fine. On this computer most boot reports are Error and quite often they are Critical. It's all down to what software the user has decided to install. The main boot report is Event ID:100. From time to time to you may see reports numbered 101 to 109. These highlight a particular feature of the corresponding Event ID: 100 report. Unless you see one of these reports repeating each time you boot they can be safely disregarded.

Hope this helps, Gerry

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, February 11, 2013 8:22 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:23 AM