Can tunne WinXP TCP/IP as good as Win7 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Testing Download speed with a dedicated 100 MB WAN link(only this test traffic , no other traffic), result shown in Win7 is perfect but WinXP result is very bad, after running top/ip optimizer, result getting better but is still not as good as Win7? Is there a way that I can tune WinXP with similar result of Win7?

Jason

Monday, April 1, 2013 6:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• anyone has any suggestion? what parameters you are using to tune the WinXP tcp/ip?

Jason

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 2:58 AM
  • You might try: TCP Optimizer

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:23 AM
  • I was using TCP Optimizer, question is how to set those parameters so that the performance can be similar with Windows 7? 

Jason

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:10 AM
  • You cannot expect the performance of Windows 7 in the outdated Windows XP operating system.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:17 PM
  • You can't tune XP as like windows 7. Win XP is very old OS, its better to upgrade to Win 7 as support will soon end.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:39 PM
  • don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting XP as good as Win7. I'm tuning the tcp/ip now. Both OS are using same ver tcp/ip. 

from my limit knowledge, Win7 adjusts tcp/ip control parameter(e.g. receiving windows size) dynamically but XP is using fixed value by registry settings. Since my env is a dedicated network, if I could get Win7 tcp/ip control parameters and I replicate to WinXP, i may be able to achieve similar good result. 

It seems my question is a bit wide, I'd like to narrow down it to "how to detect win7 tcp/ip control parameters (those registry values in tcp/ip optimizer)"?

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Check : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170359

and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053?wa=wsignin1.0

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Thanks for the links. 

as you have seen from those KBs, there are so many key/values, I'm looking for a reference not those descriptions/explanations. 

I'm not very sure if my question makes confusion, I'm looking for a way to detect Win7 tcp/ip control parameters and use it as a reference for my XP tuning. 

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:39 AM
  • Yes, you can try that out. Take a reference windows 7 systems and set the reg values for Win XP. You can get reference to the keys that you're changing from the KB's mentioned. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:05 AM
  • how to take reference value from Windows 7?

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:04 AM
  • using the registry keys in the KB

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:07 AM
  • there is no such keys in Windows 7!!! I have already mentioned, Windows 7 is control tcp/ip parameters dynamically. I hope you do some basic testing before typing your answer. 

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:15 AM
  • have you really checked this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170359?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:29 AM
  • I'm able to locate these on my win 7 machine. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Is it because you run tcp/ip optimizer before? Don't mind share a screenshot captured with your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters?

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:19 AM

• Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:33 AM
  • it does not appear on my side. 

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Then TCP Optimizer must have done something or changed something here. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi, TCP Optimizer is not for Windows 7 but XP. 

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Oh.. okay... !!! But the URL says, OS:  Windows 9x/ME/2K/XP/XP-SP2/2k3/Vista/7/2008

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:03 AM
  • URL says you can run optimizer on Windows 7, not saying Optimizer is for Windows 7. From my limited knowledge, Windows 7 control tcp/ip settings dynamically. that's why Windows 7 can achieve a better performance comparing with WinXP. Why do you want to run optimizer to freeze this flexibility? Even if you want to do, what's the value do you want to put? In WinXP, we have no choice but to set those values, I just want to have a value reference captured from Windows 7 that running on same env, but just don't know how to do it.

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:04 AM
  • URL says you can run optimizer on Windows 7, not saying Optimizer is for Windows 7. From my limited knowledge, Windows 7 control tcp/ip settings dynamically. that's why Windows 7 can achieve a better performance comparing with WinXP. Why do you want to run optimizer to freeze this flexibility? Even if you want to do, what's the value do you want to put? In WinXP, we have no choice but to set those values, I just want to have a value reference captured from Windows 7 that running on same env, but just don't know how to do it.

Jason

I never asked you to run the tool on Win 7, please check again. I only asked if you have done it or not. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Also, you've just answerred your question.  "Windows 7 control tcp/ip settings dynamically. that's why Windows 7 can achieve a better performance comparing with WinXP. "

The only option left is to run the tool on Win XP.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:25 AM
  • anyone else?

basically i just wanna find a way to capture win7 tcp/ip control settings and use it as a reference for WinXP optimizer. 

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Nothing else, its only the option as of now. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:58 AM
  • anyone ELSE pls?

Jason

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Monday, April 8, 2013 2:18 AM
  • this kind of answer won't help at all. If I could upgrade it, I won't post here.

Jason

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:20 AM
  • btw, I found my way to do it. thanks all for viewing and contributions. 

Jason

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:20 AM
  • For the sake of others, please let us know the particulars of your "solution".

Carey Frisch

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Agreed with Carey. Please don't mark as Answer without posting the solution. 

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:59 AM