Switch from word 2010 to word 2013 having issue of compatibility. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently change from word 2010 to word 2013 now all my old files are opening in compatibility mode and when i try to close that file word is not responding. 

I check some solutions to convert the file but it is not appropriate option to change 1000 of files manually can you suggest something?

Thanks,

Monday, July 10, 2017 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Shery,

Based on your description, I suggest you try these methods:

Deleting Default Document Template

1. Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Templates folder in Windows Explorer.

2. Look for Normal.dotm file in the folder. Either delete the file or rename it to some other name.

Reset_Default_Document_Template_Microsoft_Word.png

3. That's it. Open Word and it'll automatically create a new Normal.dotm file in Templates folder which will solve the issue.

Using Registry Editor

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options

3. In right-side pane, look for a DWORD CompatMode. If you find it, delete it. If it doesn't exist, create a new DWORD and set its name to CompatMode and set its value to 0

Disable_Compatibility_Mode_Microsoft_Word.png

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Word. It should solve the problem.

Any updates please let me know, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

I tried option 1 but didn't work.

After opening word file when i close without saving, it gives word not responding.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi Shery,

Do you try to repair Office applications in your environment?

Repair: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Please try it.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:08 AM

Deleting Default Document Template

I would never recommend deleting the normal template. There can be all sorts of user customizations in that template that are lost by deletion. Instead, with Word closed, simply rename the template. Word will create a new one, but if there are customizations in the old one that are desired, they can be copied to the new one.

How to Find the Normal Template

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Edited by Charles Kenyon Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:41 PM move response to OP to separate post
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

I recently change from word 2010 to word 2013 now all my old files are opening in compatibility mode and when i try to close that file word is not responding. 

I check some solutions to convert the file but it is not appropriate option to change 1000 of files manually can you suggest something?

Thanks,

What happens if you open Word in Safe mode? Same problem?

Note, Safe mode is a diagnostic technique, not a way to use Word on a regular basis.

Is there a reason to Close without Saving? What happens if you save and then close the document (updating it to Word 2013)?

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:40 PM