how to remove Vista ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bouht a new Dell laptop with preinstalled Vista home premium and because  I must use Windows Xp pro I used my xp CD to format Vista and deleted partitiion and make 2 partion C & D and installed xp on c .....and xp is working but I feel that formatting is not 100% because when i try to add hardware ( i.e.sound or modem ) I receive many error messeges saying that system doesn't support installing such devices....someone told me that because of formatting was no correct. 

So please can anyone help me step by step how to do a clean format. I want to remove everything that is relating to vista because I can't live without XP Pro  

please help me .

thanks in advance

Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:40 PM

Answers

•  

Hi morefromman,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, some new models of computers only support Windows Vista. In this case, Windows XP is unable to be installed or run well as these computers are not designed for the Windows XP platform. They may lack necessary drivers for Windows XP. Therefore, I recommend you  contact Dell to confirm if your computer is compatible with Windows XP first.

If it supports Windows XP and you would like to format the drive and reinstall Windows XP, you can visit the following link to look through the whole process of reinstalling Windows XP Professional:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Note: This site does not include the step 6 from the following steps.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note: Before reinstalling Windows XP, please backup your important files.

Here is the detailed steps how to format the drive and install Windows XP:

1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS. Change the BIOS settings to make the computer boot from the CDROM drive. By default, the CDROM drive is the first boot device. (If you don't know how to change this BIOS setting, please refer to the motherboard product manual or contact the computer manufacturer for more information.)

2.  Insert the Windows XP Setup CD and reboot the computer from the CD.

3. If you are prompted to press a key to boot from the CD, please press Enter or Spacebar.

4. Then, you will see the Windows Setup blue screen. After a while, you will see the following information on your screen:

. To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.

. To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Please press Enter at this point.

5. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

6. You will then see the following screen. Please press ESC instead of repairing Windows XP.

* To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

7. Then, you will see a list of all the partitions in your system. Please choose the C partition, and then choose to format this partition.

Note: To delete a partition, please select it, and then press D to delete it. Press L to confirm the partition deletion. All the data on the partition will be lost if you delete or format the partition.

8. Select the C drive and then format it to NTFS. Follow the directions to continue the installation process. You will need to enter the product key at a certain step. Please enter it correctly. The product key is printed on the disc or on the hand book.

9. If you are prompted to insert the previous Windows Setup CD to confirm the Windows XP upgrade installation, please take out the Windows XP Setup CD, insert the previous Windows Setup CD to your CD-ROM, and then follow its directions to complete the process. (This step only occurs if your Windows XP Professional disk is an upgrade version.)

10. Follow the wizard to complete the whole installation process. When the system has been installed successfully, you will need to activate it. To activate Windows XP, please refer to the following article, which is from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to activate Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

You can also call the following numbers to activate Windows XP:

Toll free number: 888-571-2048

For more information about installing Windows XP, please refer to the following article.

How to Install Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;316941

After reinstalling Windows XP and establishing your Internet connection, please visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to install all critical Windows Updates and then reinstall your antivirus program and keep it up to date.

Now you will get a clean environment of Windows XP. If you still cannot add hardware, please understand our forum mainly discuss Windows Vista issues and this issue is related to Windows XP, I suggest you discuss the issue in our Windows XP public newsgroup:

Discussions in Windows XP General Discussion

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thanks for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi morefromman,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, some new models of computers only support Windows Vista. In this case, Windows XP is unable to be installed or run well as these computers are not designed for the Windows XP platform. They may lack necessary drivers for Windows XP. Therefore, I recommend you  contact Dell to confirm if your computer is compatible with Windows XP first.

If it supports Windows XP and you would like to format the drive and reinstall Windows XP, you can visit the following link to look through the whole process of reinstalling Windows XP Professional:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Note: This site does not include the step 6 from the following steps.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note: Before reinstalling Windows XP, please backup your important files.

Here is the detailed steps how to format the drive and install Windows XP:

1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS. Change the BIOS settings to make the computer boot from the CDROM drive. By default, the CDROM drive is the first boot device. (If you don't know how to change this BIOS setting, please refer to the motherboard product manual or contact the computer manufacturer for more information.)

2.  Insert the Windows XP Setup CD and reboot the computer from the CD.

3. If you are prompted to press a key to boot from the CD, please press Enter or Spacebar.

4. Then, you will see the Windows Setup blue screen. After a while, you will see the following information on your screen:

. To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.

. To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Please press Enter at this point.

5. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

6. You will then see the following screen. Please press ESC instead of repairing Windows XP.

* To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

7. Then, you will see a list of all the partitions in your system. Please choose the C partition, and then choose to format this partition.

Note: To delete a partition, please select it, and then press D to delete it. Press L to confirm the partition deletion. All the data on the partition will be lost if you delete or format the partition.

8. Select the C drive and then format it to NTFS. Follow the directions to continue the installation process. You will need to enter the product key at a certain step. Please enter it correctly. The product key is printed on the disc or on the hand book.

9. If you are prompted to insert the previous Windows Setup CD to confirm the Windows XP upgrade installation, please take out the Windows XP Setup CD, insert the previous Windows Setup CD to your CD-ROM, and then follow its directions to complete the process. (This step only occurs if your Windows XP Professional disk is an upgrade version.)

10. Follow the wizard to complete the whole installation process. When the system has been installed successfully, you will need to activate it. To activate Windows XP, please refer to the following article, which is from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to activate Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

You can also call the following numbers to activate Windows XP:

Toll free number: 888-571-2048

For more information about installing Windows XP, please refer to the following article.

How to Install Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;316941

After reinstalling Windows XP and establishing your Internet connection, please visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to install all critical Windows Updates and then reinstall your antivirus program and keep it up to date.

Now you will get a clean environment of Windows XP. If you still cannot add hardware, please understand our forum mainly discuss Windows Vista issues and this issue is related to Windows XP, I suggest you discuss the issue in our Windows XP public newsgroup:

Discussions in Windows XP General Discussion

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thanks for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:33 AM
  •  

thank you very much  Tim , I can't express my gratitute to you for the explanation . The steps are easy to do and I will do it right now.

thak you again 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:19 PM
  •  

Hi morefromman,

Thank you for the reply.

I believe after performing the above steps, you can get a fresh Windows XP. Therefore, now I will go ahead and mark this thread as “Answered”. If you have any issues regarding Windows Vista in the future, please feel free to post new threads in our forum. If you have Windows XP questions, you can discuss in our Windows XP public newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:55 AM