Starting with App-V but getting stuck on making the right decisions RRS feed

• Question

• We're using a terminal server at this moment, having office 2010 an visual studio 2010 installed on it. Because we want to install several versions of Microsoft dynamics AX-Client on it, we thought of starting to use App-v for this. But now I'm kind of stuck because I don't know what's the right way to install the ax-client.

I thought, why not move office 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 to app-v. We need these applications because ax-client is depending on these applications when using and developing AX.

1. How to sequence the AX-client when there is no office or visual studio sequenced (yet). Can I just install office and visual studio and then sequence the ax-client? Or should I, maybe do the right thing, and first sequence office and vs.

2. tried to sequence office following this installation page http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=153. But I simply got lost in adding and removing registry keys. So can I skip this installation guide and go strait to the office accelerator http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/App-V-Package-Accelerator-62415d39

3. If I first have to make packages for office and VS, how must I sequence AX-client, and let it know that it's depending office and VS package are also sequenced, because it won't install without this software installed.

Hope you can help me on some of these questions,

• Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:10 PM Please do not post questions in the Sequencing Recipe forum (From:App-V Sequencing Recipe Forum)
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• I would make your approach simplier - don't virtualize Office or Visual Studio, install them as you have previously. Jumping right into App-V with a very complex scenario will be very challenging.

When sequencing Dynamics, install (and execute) Office and Visual Studio in the sequencing VM before starting the Sequencer - then capture the installation of Dynamics with the Sequencer. 

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by mheijkant Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• I would make your approach simplier - don't virtualize Office or Visual Studio, install them as you have previously. Jumping right into App-V with a very complex scenario will be very challenging.

When sequencing Dynamics, install (and execute) Office and Visual Studio in the sequencing VM before starting the Sequencer - then capture the installation of Dynamics with the Sequencer. 

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by mheijkant Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Thanks, It makes sence to start small.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:39 PM