none
Project professional 2013 beta puts dates beyond 2049 so that older versions (2010) can't open it even though same format. cant track down bad data. RRS feed

• Question

• I have added no dates beyond 2016 in my project plan, but somewhere, project professional puts in bad format dates (???) resulting in plans not compatible with older versions of project.  I've looked at exported excel and xml without being able to identify the offending data that renders the plan unusable in proj2010.  Help?!??!?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

you could try to insert this project into a new empty project in Project 2010, as described in http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat (Method 4). Or you can try to save as 2003 file (if you didn't use too many new features). I had good results with in the past. Does one of theses suggestions work?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Thanks much for the response Barbara.  Unfortunately, no.

Trying to insert the (it sounds corrupted) proj2013 file as a sub project in proj2010 it as a sub project resulted in a  "file format is not a valid" message.  Saving as a proj2003 file produces the same result as the original, with the date being higher than December 31, 2049. 

I was able to save as excel, and after a bit of rework have managed to retrieve much of my plan.   Interestingly, some of the calculations of work/cost end up being a little different.  not enough to cause a major problem.  Still, I think there's a bug somewhere in proj2013.

cheers - Patrick

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Did you try inserting the .xml version? Converting to xml should eliminate any binary file corruptions.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:42 AM
  • I have the same situation. We have created a plan with Project Professional 2010. I'm opening it with my new Project Prof 2013 and I save it. Now my collegues can't access it anymore. Saving to an older version doesn't work anymore. Saving as XML works but we lose the timeline etc.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Jo

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Same error for me !! Not with the beta, but the full version

And I definately cant go the XML route or smth like this. This function has to work !

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I cannot reproduce this.  I have a Project created in Project 2010 (SP-1).  Opened in Project 2013 RTM and saved.  I have no errors opening the project in Project 2010.

Does this occur with all project files?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same issue and followed other replies, where saving as an XML and reopening it with Microsoft Project 2013 Beta revealed dates with 2049 and 2149, although all dates were correct in XML file.

Hence, I followed below steps, which helped me with losing timeline data:

1. Saved my original MS Project 2013 Beta file in XML format with correct dates.

2. Created a new Project Plan with MS Project 2013 Beta, but saved this empty project plan in MS Project 2007 version.

3. Without closing the empty project plan, opened the XML file, choosing the option "append to active project".

This procedure ended with correct dates, but with losing timeline data.

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:52 AM