Sharepoint 2007 File Save and Download Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am doing some work on a sharepoint site where I am uploading documents from our directory to the document library then creating links in a multicell table to link to these documents.

When I upload a document then click on it I can open it and change data but when I try and save it to my desktop it will save the document but not save the changes I made. Also if I close the document and then try and reopen it says this file is already open by 'me' do you want to open read-only etc.

What we want is to be able to open the document, be able to make changes then save it to local pc, and also open it without read-only notifications showing.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew (MCDST)

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Check if the version of IE and Office is 32 bit or 64 bit. It should be same

Also check below artcile

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2c4009f3-62bc-4af0-9e16-e40e9d418e3b/user-changes-to-sharepoint-documents-lost

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/59530/sharepoint-2010-ocassionally-not-saving-users-changes

Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:07 AM
  • IE I'm quite sure is 32 bit but it doesn't say in the about IE section. I check all programs and don't see an IE 64 bit version either.

I also think Office is 32 bit as it is Office 2007, I understand it was only 2010 Office that offered a 64 bit version.

Something else I noticed and do not understand is when I open the file and click save button on Excel it doesn't say it has saved, but doesn't say it hasn't saved either. I'm assuming it's saving somewhere but have checked:

C:\Users\mydomainname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\Recent

and

C:\Users\mydomainname\AppData\Local\Temp

Only thing I can see is in temp directory there is a file that ends ~DFECDBC8B567D70718.tmp, this is linked to the open excel file as it shuts when I shut the excel file, and appears when I open it.

If I close the file and then reopen, it tells me the file is read-only. If I click 'notify' of read-only, then make changes and proceed to save the file, it warns me the file is read-only and to save locally, if I then save locally I get a dialog after the save saying the file is now available for editing - do you want to edit-write or cancel?

If I click 'edit-write' it reverts to showing the original document without the changes but when I close it I get a prompt asking do I want to save the changes to the file 'copy of filename.xls(2)' and when I save it the document changes back to the one with the changes I made and it will have saved locally.

If I click cancel  instead of edit-write it stays on the document with the changes I made and I can close it without saving.

What do I need to do to stop this read-only notification?

Thanks

Andrew 

Andrew (MCDST)

Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:53 PM
  • I've just uploaded a new file to my sharepoint and I can open it multiple times and it never says the file is read-only. But yet I have another file that continually tells me the file is read-only.

Surely there must be a reason why one file is doing it and the other isn't on the same site, in the same library both files are located. Both are excel and both are .xls older files.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew

Andrew (MCDST)

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:46 AM