Checked Out Files not showing up on Document Library Settings' Manage Checked Out Documents page RRS feed

• Question

• We're running MOSS 2007 SP3 and we have a problem with checked out documents.  I'm logged in as a site collection admin, and when I go into a document library that contains checked out documents, some of which belong to me and others that do not belong to me, and then go into the document library settings' manage checked out documents page, there are no files listed.  If I create a content query webpart and query the library, they all show up.  So for some reason the document library settings' manage checked out documents page is not displaying any checked out documents.  I have searched the web and the forums with no luck, has anyone else run into this problem?

We have librarians who are trying to provide bulk checkin services who currently can't perform those tasks, so any help with this would be appreciated.  Thanks,

-Richard.

• Edited by _Richard_D_ Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:17 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

The “Manage Checked Out Files” feature is a bit misleading. It doesn’t show all the checked out files, instead, it only show the documents, which are never checked in.

If you want to see all documents in a library that are checked out you can create a custom view with a filter to show only documents where the field “Checked Out To” is not empty.
    http://blog.mikehacker.net/2009/01/30/manage-checked-out-files/

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by _Richard_D_ Monday, March 19, 2012 6:44 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Hello Richard,

If you browse to manage checked out files option you may still see the list is empty even though you have documents checked out. Manage Checked Out Files is a view. This behaviour can be experienced in a state where you have versioning turned on a document library.  You will not see any items on this view even if there is a single version of the document checked in.If you see there is a description on the same page that states  “Use this page to manage files which have no checked in version”. 

As Wayne has mentioned you can create a custom view with a filter to show only documents where the field “Checked Out To” is not empty.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

The “Manage Checked Out Files” feature is a bit misleading. It doesn’t show all the checked out files, instead, it only show the documents, which are never checked in.

If you want to see all documents in a library that are checked out you can create a custom view with a filter to show only documents where the field “Checked Out To” is not empty.
    http://blog.mikehacker.net/2009/01/30/manage-checked-out-files/

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Thanks for responding! 

For what my customer is doing, or trying to do, is to provide a 'bulk check in' service.  It used to work where they (as a SCA) could go to the manage checked out files page, take ownership, then use the site content and structure page to bulk check them in.  Somewhere along the way, a month or three ago, new checked out documents fail to show up in the manage checked out documents page, where they used to display.

Have you ever seen the manage checked out documents page stop working before?  That's what is happening to us...

-Richard.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hello Richard,

If you browse to manage checked out files option you may still see the list is empty even though you have documents checked out. Manage Checked Out Files is a view. This behaviour can be experienced in a state where you have versioning turned on a document library.  You will not see any items on this view even if there is a single version of the document checked in.If you see there is a description on the same page that states  “Use this page to manage files which have no checked in version”. 

As Wayne has mentioned you can create a custom view with a filter to show only documents where the field “Checked Out To” is not empty.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Both of you are correct.  I was checking out a document after it had a version, expecting it to show up on the "manage checked out documents" page.  My customer was not able to bulk check in documents, I assumed that they had been bulk uploaded, for example dragged and dropped into SP via Explorer View.  But either the documents they were looking for were once checked in, or I was doing the wrong test, or both.

Thanks!

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:44 PM