Captured Windows 10 reference image too small RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using MDT for deployment for about a year now, and have captured WIM files for my reference image multiple times in the past. However, recently I have been failing to capture a good reference image for Windows 10 1809 and 1903. Even if the whole process goes fine, without any errors, the captured WIM at the end is always only 4,247KB. As great as it would be to have a working image as small as 4MB... this one does not work. I've found only one other post about this problem, here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8d74d46c-df09-45a0-bd83-ff18a7e887f2/captured-windows-10-wim-file-too-small?forum=mdt

The eventual conclusion they came to was that it was capturing the mounted CD drive instead of the drive containing the Windows directory. I do not believe this is happening in my case, as my logs are stating that I'm capturing the C: drive, which is correct. I have also tried all the proposed solutions in that post to no avail. I have not modified any default settings regarding the backup drive. I was initially encountering this problem using MDT2013, but have since upgraded to version 8456 and experience the same problem still. I've tried everything I can come up with in the past few months, but am still unable to create a working reference image.

Any advice would be very welcome! See below for links to my BDD log files shared from Box.com. The first is a recent one, which is not working. The second is from the last time I was able to create a working reference image.

Not working - https://hopeinternational.box.com/s/0i4gig7buyv7sicx1ooi3zrpuyd3m4k3

Working - https://hopeinternational.box.com/s/0as9j0b3n86a638qw0xxmh1vopw9ih1k

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:02 PM

Answers

• I can't say for sure, but I think this problem actually stemmed from my attempt to resolve a "Cannot find script file "C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"" error, as described in the following...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bdc5f1e-a8d1-44d7-9bd6-95458264fdff/can-not-find-script-file-quotcltibootstrapvbsquot?forum=mdt 

I may have broken a script somewhere when I was trying various solutions to that problem. Anyway, I ended up building an entirely new MDT server from scratch on a Windows Sever 2019 VM. Again, I ran into the "Cannot find script file "C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"" error while building my reference image, but was able to resolve it this time without changing any scripts, but instead by manually changing the boot order of my reference VM right after the sysprep task. Not ideal, but at least I managed to not break anything else and I have a working reference image now. Thanks for your recommendations and support.
    • Marked as answer by cmadams1337 Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:36 PM

All replies

• Please Share the BDD.log by uploading in Public shared drive.

Have you tried to perform the capturing process by Injecting the mounted CD Drive? It seems that it's capturing the another partitions instead of OS drive.

Friday, July 26, 2019 3:44 AM
  • Hi, Jitesh,

Thanks for your response. I have public links from BOX at the bottom of my post, where I have already shared the BDD log files. I could not post them as actual links, as this was my first post on this forum. Is there a different preferred place that I should be uploading them?

Yes, I did try running a suspend at the end of my build and ejecting the CD drive. This was one of the troubleshooting steps proposed in the other post I mentioned, which I already tried. It did not resolve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Friday, July 26, 2019 1:33 PM
  • One difference is DISM versions which is understandable, though you might want to bring it up to the latest version. Have you tried to open the WIM to see what was captured?

Side note: Your capture seems a little slow. My image is 28GB and captures in 13 minutes.

Daniel Vega

Friday, July 26, 2019 2:08 PM
  • I did see your failed capture also failed at 

Run Command: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\bcdedit.exe /export "E:\boot\bcd.save"	LTIApply	7/16/2019 8:44:56 AM	0 (0x0000)

BCD> The store export operation has failed.	LTIApply	7/16/2019 8:44:57 AM	0 (0x0000)

BCD> The system cannot find the path specified.	LTIApply	7/16/2019 8:44:57 AM	0 (0x0000)

BCDEdit returned ErrorLevel = 1	LTIApply	7/16/2019 8:44:57 AM	0 (0x0000)

Daniel Vega

Friday, July 26, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Daniel,

Thanks for your input. I had not thought to look inside the WIM file. It looks like just a bunch of SCCM files: TsManager.exe, TsmBootstrap.exe, CcmCore.dll, Smsboot.exe, etc. (I was going to post a screen capture, but TechNet still hasn't verified my email address). I'm not entirely sure what to make of that - besides that it's definitely not capturing the OS :)

Also, your comments about DISM versions and capture speed made me think about how I'm still running MDT on Windows Server 2012 R2 and this may be a good time to upgrade the server. Do you have any recommendations as to specs for my MDT server? All the documentation I've found on requirements seem outdated and still list Server 2012 as the highest recommended server OS.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:37 PM
  • I'm running Server 2016 standard on a Dell Precision 3420 with NVMe drive for OS and 2 SSDs in RAID 1 for my DATA volume.

Back to your issue, it really sounds like it is backing up maybe a recovery volume or something. Just because it says it is backing up C:\ doesn't mean that's your OS. My backup logs usually show that it detects C, D and E, with D: as the drive with the OS. 

Have you hard coded anything to be backing up C:\? MDT on its own should be able to see which drive has the "_SMSTaskSequence" folder and will choose that one.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:57 PM
  • I can't say for sure, but I think this problem actually stemmed from my attempt to resolve a "Cannot find script file "C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"" error, as described in the following...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bdc5f1e-a8d1-44d7-9bd6-95458264fdff/can-not-find-script-file-quotcltibootstrapvbsquot?forum=mdt 

I may have broken a script somewhere when I was trying various solutions to that problem. Anyway, I ended up building an entirely new MDT server from scratch on a Windows Sever 2019 VM. Again, I ran into the "Cannot find script file "C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"" error while building my reference image, but was able to resolve it this time without changing any scripts, but instead by manually changing the boot order of my reference VM right after the sysprep task. Not ideal, but at least I managed to not break anything else and I have a working reference image now. Thanks for your recommendations and support.
    • Marked as answer by cmadams1337 Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:36 PM