none
Win 10 Enterprise - Faulty GPO:s

Question

• Hello,

Im working on a GPO that structure up our computers placed in all conference rooms physically placed in several different citys.
    I have came across two GPOs that i have not found a acceptable outcome or even a workaround with for Windows 10 Enterprise.
    I dont want to use a thirdparty software that bricks the units. I want an central pushing solution like clean GPO or registry push.
    No manuall work at the endpoints or a placed file that is a high risk to become corrupted.

1. Windows 10 logon Screen background.
    I can disable it and change it to certain colors but i cant revert it to the manually created OEMBackground placed in:
    "C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgroundDefault.jpg"

THis how it´s done in Windows 7:

Fire up registry editor (Win Key + R and then type regedit, hit enter)
    Browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background , double click on key named OEMBackground and change its value to 1 (If you cannot find the path or the key go ahead and create it, remember OEMBackground is a Dword)
    You just enabled the OEM Background functionality. Now browse to the folder%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds within Windows explorer. %windir% refers to your Windows install directory C:\Windows in most systems. Again the folder path may not exist already, so you can go ahead and create required folders (info and backgrounds are generally not present)
    Now put in any JPG file with size less than 256 kb in this folder and rename it to backgroundDefault.jpg. This file will be stretched to fit the screen, so you would want it to match the resolution of your screen so that image doesn’t look bad. You can something like smush.it or Photoshop’s Save as/Save for Web feature to reduce image size.
    this was very easy and quick to do

The file is placed in some of these places:
    C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon\Windows.UI.Logon.pri
    C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg
    The policy is there and M$ should have a solution for this in close future i hope if im not making a misstake, then please correct me :)

When will the avaliable feature work for Windows 10 Enterprise?

2. Remove "Recently added items" from startmeny via GPx or at least registry.
    Placed under GUI here:
    Settings > Personalization > Start >Show recently added apps

There is not a GPO for this yet as i have seen.
    I have tried to scan the registry and file changes while changeing the setting over GUI but not got any clear results here.

https //technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/windows-10-start-layout-options-and-policies

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64b67188-4833-421a-8775-2a15d716e6a0/disable-show-recently-added-apps?forum=win10itprogeneral

Thanks
    HA4g3n

• Edited by HA4g3n Friday, July 29, 2016 8:56 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 7:17 AM

Answers