How does SharePoint update database table indexes? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for documentation on how and when SharePoint
    updates the indexes on its database tables. For example, is it done through a
    time job in SharePoint? Can admins control when it happens? What sort of algorithm
    does it use to update the indexes?

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:51 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has created a whitepaper on managing databases for SharePoint 2007, I would strongly recommend that you review that document closely and see if the infomormation you're looking for is in there: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262731%28v=office.12%29.aspx. If its not in that document, it's likely that you shouldn't be attempting to manually control or adminster those settings within SQL Server. Microsoft is very specific about how you should access, modify, and administer SharePoint's databases and this whitepaper is the definitive source on that subject. If its not in there, or not an activity that you can do through SharePoint Admin UI (Central Admin site), STSADM, or the SharePoint Object Model, then my recommendation would be that you don't attempt it unless you're directed to do so by Microsoft Support.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:50 AM section refering to now deleted post (from me) removed
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:57 PM

All replies

• Microsoft has created a whitepaper on managing databases for SharePoint 2007, I would strongly recommend that you review that document closely and see if the infomormation you're looking for is in there: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262731%28v=office.12%29.aspx. If its not in that document, it's likely that you shouldn't be attempting to manually control or adminster those settings within SQL Server. Microsoft is very specific about how you should access, modify, and administer SharePoint's databases and this whitepaper is the definitive source on that subject. If its not in there, or not an activity that you can do through SharePoint Admin UI (Central Admin site), STSADM, or the SharePoint Object Model, then my recommendation would be that you don't attempt it unless you're directed to do so by Microsoft Support.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:52 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:50 AM section refering to now deleted post (from me) removed
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Thanks John.  Yes the document you linked to identifies it as the

Database Statistics timer job

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:52 PM