none
Secondary DPM does not sync with primary (3170 / 8007048F)

Question

• We have a primary and secondary DPM Server. We have switched from primary to secondary and we we running serveral weeks on secondary only (primary was off). We have rebuild primary from scratch and switched back secondary to primary. The clients are now backed up by primary. Secondary should now get back its role to backup primary, but we get the folling error on secondary:

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for Volume E:\(xxx) on SvrDpm01 for following reason: (ID 3170)
    An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The device is not connected (0x8007048F))

Any ideas?

Thankx, Harry

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:10 PM

Answers

• Harry,

One more thing to check, on the primary DPM server open an administrative command window and run DISKPART. From the DISKPART command run "list volume" and check to see if you have volumes showing up as RAW. If so you will need to delete those volumes.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Deleting the RAW volumes on the primary server fixed this issue for me.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you using DPM2010 or DPM 2007?

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Hi Robert, we are using DPM 2010.

Thankx, Harry

Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Hi Harry,

Try this, go to the DPM Console on the Primary DPM server, select Protection, then "create a new protection group. Now under the select group members window, try expanding the Primary DPM server. Do you get an error? If so, post it here and, of course, cancel out of creating the protection group.

Marc

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Hi Marc

We have tried the above and did not get any errors, we could expand the primary DPM server in a new protection group on the primary DPM. After that we canceled out...

Thankx, Harry

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Harry,

One more thing to check, on the primary DPM server open an administrative command window and run DISKPART. From the DISKPART command run "list volume" and check to see if you have volumes showing up as RAW. If so you will need to delete those volumes.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi Marc

we have run the commands, but there were NO raw devices listed.

Thankx, Harry

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Marc,

I have this same error showing up when trying to backup a database to our secondary DPM.  The backup to the primary works fine.   And in looking at the primary DPM, 'list volume' does show one RAW volume.  I have a some questions before I delete the volume on the primary.  Excuse me if the questions seem obvious, but I'm fairly new to DPM and how it works.

1.I assume I use Disk Management to do the delete.  What's the impact of deleting the volume?  Will DPM reuse the storage?

2.How is the secondary backup for this one database associated with the RAW volume on the primary?

Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi guys,

Use the CMDLET DPMSYNC with the switch -ReallocateReplica

Afterwards run the DPMSYNC with the -SYNC switch.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Isn't dpmsync used when restoring the dpmdb?  I'm not doing that.  And where are you suggesting this to be run - on the primary, secondary or both.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Deleting the RAW volumes on the primary server fixed this issue for me.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:57 PM