none
Access to Data Protection Manager 2010 after a reboot takes a long time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After rebooting out Data Protection Manager 2010 server it will take a long time before we can login to it. We are using RDP, but I won't be able to get access for about 45 minutes. If I look at the SAN their is activity and the lights are going mad for a bit and then no activity at all. After about 45 minutes, the SAN will be active and going mad again and I know Data Protection Manager is back.

Is this normal? What is Data Protection Manager doing on a reboot?

Best wishes

Michael

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:28 AM

All replies

• I experience the same thing.  I have 20 2TB disks in my storage pool (LUNs on a SAN) and yeah it takes probably 45 minutes after rebooting before the server is responsive.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 1:49 PM
  • ·         Same issue. Server gets to login screen cant rdp or login at the console for 15-45 min. I rebuilt my server thinking that something was wrong but same thing after rebuild but not as bad. Seems that it started after the November hotfix was applied (could be wrong just want to blame something) I think it has something to do with having so much storage attached.

I tried calling Microsoft for support and they want me to pay even though i am a Software Assurance customer. I should get help on this product just because i pay for it and not pirate it. Retards. Not sure why the DPM team that monitors this forum sucks at responding to real issues. They seem to help out the people that have BS user errors issues with no problems. Maybe they realize how jacked up the software really is. With all my negative comments i really do like the software over my old Backup Exec/Tape solution.

DELL Poweredge DP500 with 2 MD 1000's 50tb storage.

• Edited by Brian James Monday, February 21, 2011 9:21 PM .
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Although I agree with Brian, I wouldn't have put it on those words. I too love Data Protection Manager. It is the best backup software we have run and is simple to use and that is where I feel Microsoft lets itself down.

They believe this software to be so simple it doesn't need much documentation or help. While it is working it is great and 99% of the time it is working, but when it fails it fails in ways that unique to Data Protection Manager. Any knowledge gained by sys admins in of little use to Data Protection Manager users. When I have issues I rely on this forum or a web search to find the answers.

I would love a direct chat to the devs to explain the minor, but day to day issue I have that I hope to see ironed out in the next release. 2010 is a huge step forward over 2007. I thought it was just me regarding startup times. I am reassured to hear others have the same issue and don't mind too much that it takes so long. I am just concerned that other users who aren't aware this is what it is meant to do, will be hard reboot servers and causing unnecessary pain and damage.

Best wishes

Michael

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

Windows volume shadow copy service verifies all snapshots during a reboot and depending on the size and number of volumes in the DPM storage pool, this can take a long time.  While shadow copy volumes are verified and the replica volumes are brought online, dpm is querying the virtual disk service to check the status of the volumes.  All of this I/O causes the slugishness until all volumes are mounted and accessible.

Also - even though this doesn't effect too many DPM servers, as a best practice I would suggest installing this patch which is now included in Windows 2008 R2 Sp1.  

982210 The startup time increases every time after you back up the data on all the disks of the computer in Windows Server 2008 R2 if the computer runs some virtual machines
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;982210

UPDATE:  BEFORE installing the above update, It seems the Windows installer has a timeout period to allow volsnap driver enumerate all the snapshots as part of the installing the update.  This will cause reboot loop while trying to install the recommended volsnap.sys update if you have a large number of snapshots.

To prevent the reboot loop add the following registry to prevent the timeout.

You need give yourself permissions to on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TrustedInstaller  key.  Just ADD yourself and give yourself full control – then modify the value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TrustedInstaller
    Value: BlockTimeIncrement
    Data: 0x2a30 (10800)

If you are already in a reboot loop, or if the abive timeout (3hours) is still not enought time to install the update, then the workaround is to disconnect DPM storage pool disks to allow the update to install. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks as ever. As feedback to the devs maybe they could delay the mounts to give users time to login after a reboot or at least give some form of feedback to what is going on. It is very disconcerting when you can't login :-)

Best wishes

Michael

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:16 AM
  • I tried to install the hotfix, but got an error - failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:57 AM
  • 2 hours later it is still trying to uninstall it.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:19 PM
  • I tried to install the hotfix, but got an error - failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes.

My server went from 45 minutes on login after startup to 8-10 now after installing the latest version volsnap.sys (that i could find) KB2299380. I am a little scared to run KB982210 that Mike recommended since i have my primary server purring like a kitten. My secondary server which has half the storage with 10tb of data used on it runs fine so I agree that it has something to do with the amount of partitions the machines process on startup. When I rebuilt my machine I had issues with volsnap processing the partitions when I first turned on my storage after rebuild so I searched out for the newest volsnap I could find and it resolved it.  

I think that us (end user admins) need to stick together to get through some of these issues since they are unique to DPM installations. I get cranky when stuff does not work as designed so please ignore my poor attitude. It’s who I am.

My other issues: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/76da4778-91f3-4c2e-a1e3-066b2a67e73a

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmlpprotection/thread/0087f682-7725-4f1a-ba96-a00b07e504fe

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/e960958e-b8f4-448a-a699-922dd9554832

Setup:

Primary : DELL Poweredge DP500/2950 with 2 MD 1000's 50tb storage.

Secondary:  DELL Poweredge DP500/2950 with 1 MD 1000's 25tb storage.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:21 PM
  • After 6 hours it has uninstalled itself.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:40 PM
  • After 6 hours it has uninstalled itself.

If you have a storage device shut down the server by the power button then disconnect the storage device then boot it up in safe mode and it will do the reverting settings faster. Had this happen a few times.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:16 PM
  • It would seem a good plan when doing Data Protection Manager updates would be to make sure no jobs are running. Shut the server down, turn of the storage run any updates and then reboot and reintroduce the storage. Does that sound like a good plan?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:43 PM
  • I have added another 8GB of ram to the server and it seems to be better at startup now. The server now has 20GB and Task Manager says it is using 17GB so it was awfully short of ram before. I also tried my shutting down the server and turning off the SAN, but the server was still slow responding before the ram was added.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:05 PM
  • I have added another 8GB of ram to the server and it seems to be better at startup now. The server now has 20GB and Task Manager says it is using 17GB so it was awfully short of ram before. I also tried my shutting down the server and turning off the SAN, but the server was still slow responding before the ram was added.

FYI- Server 2008 R2 SP1 failed on my Primary but not my Secondary. The rollback "Reverting Changes" took 12+ hours. Looks like i will be rebuilding the Primary again this time i am going to install using R2 with SP1 intergrated. I will post my results. The interesting thing is that my Primary boots up and I can login to desktop right after CTRL/ALT/DEL screen comes up.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Hi I've had similar problems,  with the server taking forever to boot,  the other night after some patches my server took 3 hours to come back.   It's a Dell R710 connected to an MD1200 raid array..  I've also tried re-installing the O/S and it didn't make any difference,  but one things for sure it gets worse the more clients you add.

Today I decided to add more memory it was 12gb and it's now 24gb,  the server booted in 15minutes much much better and the GUI is much more responsive.

If your having these issues try adding some more memory..

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

It seems the Windows installer has a timeout period to allow volsnap driver enumerate all the snapshots as part of the installing the update.  This is causing the reboot loop while trying to install the recommended volsnap.sys update.

The workaround is to disconnect DPM storage pool disks or add the following registry to prevent the timeout.

You need give yourself permissions to on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TrustedInstaller  key.  Just ADD yourself and give yourself full control – then modify the value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TrustedInstaller
    Value: BlockTimeIncrement
    Data: 0x2a30 (10800)

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I have a case open as I can't install Windows 2008 r2 sp1, or any other patch for that matter. I have changed that key to 3 hours and my sp1 still won't install. It just backs itself out. It seems I have over 10,000 snap volumes. I have tried to install the hotfix for this issue and run the command to remove the orphaned ones, but still no progress. I am waiting on feedback from support.

Best wishes

Michael

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:40 PM