Probelm when saving a MYViews view RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

when trying to save a view from ProClarity Desktop Professional into MyViews, it becomes "not responding" and the only thing that can be done is to close everything down. When then I connect again, the view is there, into the My Views tab.

The strange thing is that this only happens with one specific user, while all the others don't experience this problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Kind regards,

Val

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Val,

Is this user saving My Views locally on the workstation, or saving them to the PAS?  You can verify which is the case by looking in the Professional client, File > Options.  On the General tab, you will see a section titled "Read My Views from".

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hi Bob,

all users are professional users and their views are saved in PAS.

thanks

Val

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hi Val,

What I would suggest in this case is to run SQL Profiler to see how long it is taking to save the My View to the PAS repository, to make sure that it isn't actually taking that long to save the My View.  If it then seems at that point that the issue is with the workstation (or user, you can have them try the same operation logged into a different workstation), you can move the ProClarity portion of the user's local profile so that ProClarity will build a new directory on the profile.  It is located at c:\documents and settings\username\application data\proclarity.  Move the client folder to an alternate location, then have the user open the Professional client so that a new client directory is created. Then have the user save a view to their My Views to see if it takes less time, or about the same.  Then you'll have an idea of what could be causing the delay, workstation or PAS.  Another idea may be to compare this user's My Views with other users.  Does this user have a large amount of My Views?  Are they complicated views?  Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob

Saturday, March 15, 2008 5:29 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I'm fairly sure that the problem is in PAS and not in the workstation, as when I connect with the credential of this user from my workstation, I get the same problem. Furthermore, as a temporary patch, I created an additional user for her and with this she can save new views with no problems.

I monitored the process of savin a view on SQL profiler, as you suggested, and I think you are right: it's taking a long time to execute it, about 7 minutes.

While I was doing it, this time I didn't try to close Internet Explorer: instead of the "Application not responding", this time, after a while, IE threw me an error saying "My Views could not be piblished because an error occurred. Your change to My Veiws has not been saved. You should save the changed page to your local computer by adding it to a briefing book". Despite this, the new view was there.

The user has 48 saved views, I had a quick browse through them and there seem to be some of them that run fairly complex queries, but nothing that takes longer than half a minute to run. If it's a problem connected to the specific user, can I move her existing views to the new user I created for her?

In order to do so, do I simply have to modify the BookElements table of the PAS database?

Kind regards,

Val

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:46 PM
  • You could go that way, but let's save that as a last resort.  From your description it sounds more as if this may be a matter of how long it is taking to commit this record to the database.  If you change the client option to save the My Views locally, a file will be created on the user's profile called Favorites.bin.  After setting the My Views to be saved locally, have the user access them, create a view, then save it to My Views.  How long does that take?  What is the size of the Favorites.bin on the local machine after this exercise?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Sorry Bob - not quite sure how I can make the user save the My Views locally?

Is it something I have to do through the analytic server administration tool or is it something the user should do?

Thanks

Val

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:45 AM
  • If you're using Desktop Pro you'll go into File|Options to set this to save locally.  If you're using Web Pro, you can only save to the server.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:19 PM