DHCP error RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone,

i've encouraged this problem on one of my client desktop (Windows XP). this user had some difficulties in network and when i checked event viewer i saw such records:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    Dhcp

Event Category:                None

Event ID:              1002

Date:                     10/27/2010

Time:                     10:31:13 AM

User:                     N/A

Computer:          Sales-74

Description:

The IP address lease 192.168.x.xx for the Network Card with network address 004EEC273451 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.6.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any idea?

with Respect, Constantine
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:23 AM

Answers

• What exactly have you tried yesterday?

Try turning off the Sales-74 computer, or unplug the network wire from the wall. Then ping the 192.168.x.xx  address that is in the error message. Does it respond? If so, run nslookup 192.168.x.xx to see what machine has it (relies on a reverse zone to find this info). If you don't have a reverse zone, physically look in the DHCP lease database to see what machine has that IP.

If no response pinging it, then you can delete the lease in the database, and plug the machine back into the network, re-run the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

Let us know if this works.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:39 PM

All replies

• This is an event ID about DHCP Client Address Conflits.

Please have a look to this Microsoft article and try the mentioned resolution.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:43 AM
  • i tried this yesterday..

but today it is doing again it

with Respect, Constantine
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:05 PM
  • What exactly have you tried yesterday?

Try turning off the Sales-74 computer, or unplug the network wire from the wall. Then ping the 192.168.x.xx  address that is in the error message. Does it respond? If so, run nslookup 192.168.x.xx to see what machine has it (relies on a reverse zone to find this info). If you don't have a reverse zone, physically look in the DHCP lease database to see what machine has that IP.

If no response pinging it, then you can delete the lease in the database, and plug the machine back into the network, re-run the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

Let us know if this works.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I'll go with Ace on this one. Also check your IP address pool (DHCP Scope) and check if you have enough free IP addresses. decrease Scope lease time if applicable.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:18 PM
  • I have been struggling with this problem for MONTHS. My PC would lose connectivity every 3-4 hours and I would have to re-power my router to get connectivity back. I tried everything I could find online - new drivers, disabling sleep on the PC, everything in this thread, and much, much more. I finally came across Jack's reply on this link:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/i-work-technical-support-for-a-broadband-isp-have/469a81b8-7ab6-4993-a479-b38c67a51756, and it worked.

I really wish that Microsoft would be able to incorporate this into the network troubleshooting and/or create a Mr. fix-it for this but in the meantime if you are having trouble with your internet dropping, try this.

I hope Jack's solution will help others too.

Cindy

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:19 PM