Vista SP1 RC Windows Activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Windows indicates that I have 3 days until automatic activation. I tried using the activate Windows now link and receive errors indicating that the product key is already in use. How do I resolve this issue? I have a legitimate copy of Vista Ultimate.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 1:26 AM

Answers

•  

Hello

You will need to call to activate your machine.  Use the phone method and you should be able to activate.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:58 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately I have the same problem. Also I have genuine OEM Windows Vista Home Premium. Sad
    Friday, December 14, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Hey Guys remember in the FAQs it state that this will happen as a result of the SP1 installation... and doesn't mean that ur copy isn't legit....

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Understood, however, I was referring to the activation process. The documentation does not mention that you have to activate windows with SP1 RC. I don't see this in the FAQ.

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  

Hello

You will need to call to activate your machine.  Use the phone method and you should be able to activate.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Although I have since uninstalled SP1, the documentation/instructions for SP1 indicated there would be no support from Microsoft (up to and including activations, etc.) On another note, uninstalling SP1 was challenging to say the least.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Hello,

You would simply be calling to activate your machine,  This shouldn't be considered a support call so they would still take it to activate your machine.  They wouldn't be doing any trouble-shooting, just providing activation.

Why was uninstalling challenging?

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:33 PM
  • that does the trick and does activate it but you do talk to someone in India but it is quick and painless
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  Darrell Gorter [MSFT] wrote:

Hello,

You would simply be calling to activate your machine,  This shouldn't be considered a support call so they would still take it to activate your machine.  They wouldn't be doing any trouble-shooting, just providing activation.

Why was uninstalling challenging?

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Challenging may have been the incorrect term. However, I could not remove the SP1cppRK.cmd script from my machine or the three prerequisite updates after uninstalling SP1 RC (as I have automatic update set). This caused the machine to download and update again with SP1 RC (although you are required to accept the install). I finally turned off automatic update, uninstalled SP1 and then rolled back to a restore point prior to the prerequisite updates, which worked. The prerequisite updates should allow uninstall as an option to avoid the above, etc. Also, I didn’t feel comfortable with hiding the SP1 RC update from the available list. I may have missed something, just my own experience/observation. I may try it again if a newer build becomes available.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:14 AM