none
DPM2019 -Tape backups fail with ID 2019. Tried everything I can find. RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning

We have a situation with DPM 2019 running on W2019 that has pretty much all tape jobs failing with:

ID 2019 Details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host (0x80072746)

We have a Quantum DXi4700 in VTL mode presenting as an i6000 with a FC direct connection to the DPM server with a 4Gbs QLogic QLE2460 FC HBA server-side.  Disk storage is iSCSI to a NAS. To date:

• All firmware is current
    • The registry optimisations have been applied: ConnectionNoActivityTimeoutForNonCCJobs/ConnectionNoActivityTimeout  both at 7200
    • FC port binding is in place
    • AV on-access scanning exceptions are configured as per MS guidelines.
    • I have followed the Quantum DPM Best practice document
    • I have tried all the suggestions I can find online

Each tweak brings me a little closer and I seem to get further into the backup before it fails.  Again.   Disk-to-disk backups seem ok although consistency is a bit hit and miss and constant consistency checks seem to be the norm. 

This is the first time I've used DPM and for me it's giving me the same impression as BackupExec did some years back:  Can we ditch it and go to Veeam please?  I am somewhat underwhelmed.

Am I missing something here?  Would I be better using PowerShell to manage DPM?  That's how we overcame the failings in BUEX.  But so far every tape job fails with the same error.  It's not dependent on the volume of data transferred and transfer speed seems to be good.  Its like it times out as the tape is being closed out or something.  These are running as D2D2T jobs so it's not updating the disk at the same time as it's being written to tape.

For example - one job failed at 18,305.06MB in 56m 23s and another one failed at 1,100.25MB in 2m 10s.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Edited by fj12003-cv Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you protecting a Deduplicated volume for which Tape backup (D-D-T) is failing? Also please share the Protected Server OS version. Thanks.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:20 AM
  • No dedupe,   Protected OS are all Windows 2008, 2012, 2016.  
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 11:32 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

Since D-D backup is working fine but its only failing while doing tape backup from DPM disk, it could be related to the data corruption. Not necessarily that data is corrupted at FileServer but the way DPMFilter is sending the data to the DPM disk pool may corrupt some of it and causing the tape backup to fail. 

You can try running the integrity check against the concerned replica volume and see if DPM detects any corruption.

New-RecoveryPoint –Datasource "DatSourceName" -Disk -BackupType expressfull –WithDataIntegrityCheck

Example – Integrity Check
    The following sequence of commands allows you to create a new recovery point and perform an integrity check on it before storing it to the variable recovery.

$dpmname = (&HOSTNAME)
    $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $dpmname
    $pg
    $ds = Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $pg[X]  #(WHERE X IS A ZERO BASED INDEX FROM THE OUTPUT OF $PG)
    $ds
    $recoverypt = New-RecoveryPoint $ds[0] -Disk -DiskrecoveryPointOption WithSynchronize -WithDataIntegrityCheck

If it finds any mismatch, it fixes the replica for the same and it raises the alert that corruption has been detected.

If no corruption is detected, please share the DPMRA and MSDPM logs from the DPM server after reproducing the issue.

Try this and share the outcome. Thanks. 

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 12:04 PM