none
DPM2012 Tape Backup Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of setting up long term protection to tape which will occur on the last Friday of every month.  Having previously not used DPM for any sort of tape backup, I am now looking to move away from BackupExec.

I've got a couple of questions which I can't find the answer to:

1: Tape Optimization: I have created a co-located  protection group set.  Will all of the protection groups I have selected be written to the same tape as against using a different tape per protection group and if the amount of data exceeds the tape capacity (not that I expect it to) will it just used another tape?

2: Backup Schedule:  If I set the backup schedules all to occur at 7pm will the jobs simply just queue themselves up or will subsequent jobs fail if one is already in progress?

Cheers

Adam.

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1: Yes, assuming all PG share the same LT goals, -or- you allow different retention ranges to share the same tape for the group-set.

2: They will run sequentially until finished.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:32 PM