A faster documentation: New MOF 4.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

•   

Friends, what do you think about the amount of documents in MOF 4.0? If we compare with the previous version do we have now a very smaller amount of pages, do you think that this contributes to a faster understanding? Do you think that this make the MOF 4.0 approach of most superficial?

Regards,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Monday, April 28, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• Quite Frankly Cleber, some MOFv3 SMF documents were not meeting the expetations, especially in the Operating Quadrant. It is not all about the documentation amount and the # of pages. As IT pros and IT management, they need something actionable and actualized. MOFv4 SMFs offer very concise and straight to the point discussion, and are more likely applicable. Those IT organizations who have tried ITIL before, realized that they still need the glue to connect the framework (ITIL) to their computing platform. Documentation is required enoug to make it happen as a first step, and then further enhancements can be carried out as next phases.

so, yes, this should make MOF SMF documents more consumable and realistic, and hence faster in adoptation.

Khalid Hakim | IT Operations Consultant | MOF Trainer | ITIL Service Manager | ISO20000 Consultant | MSF Practitioner | PMP
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Hi Khalid,
    Thank you for participating in the conversation, 

I agree with you and I can still say that this new approach of MOF 4 will do with that he is more used by a lot of companies. My objective is to show that the new version of MOF can help the operations a lot. Soon I will develop some videos here in Brazil with the necessary steps to use all of the suggestions of MOF 4.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Hi Cleber,

I must agree with you all. MOF v4.0 is a lot better and more descriptive. I like the guiding questions you get. Not so much answers. I think that the last 10 years of implemnting ITIL (I was part of ITIL v1 :-) ) has shown us, that you cant really only suggest a framework and some suggested outcomes. In order to drive the implementation of processes you really need to put it into the customer context. This is done by asking questions. Good consulting is to know the right questions really. Make the customer think, and get increasingly more and more aware and knowledge about the impact of changing or even intrudinc IT processes.

And to add to this, MOF v.4.0 has some good best practices. These are gathered from experts in the field, that have been out there and felt the pain to themself and the customers. This is what I think you can achieve with MOF v 4.0.

I believe that Microsoft with this release has taken the challange to tell the customers in more details what they need to do. And the suggested workflows can be tailor made to the specific environments. All good.

One approach that may work for you, is bring the questions along and have them as your guidance for workshops. Ask these questions to the customers, and they will get their minds set on the topic.

I would even recommend the "do it yourself" kind of customers who like to try it out themselves to try this approach. Not suggeting that that consultant are obsolete of course :-)

All the best

Lasse
    Friday, May 16, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Hi Lasse,
    your comments are very important my friend, tnx a lot for this. I agree with you and I think that MOF 4.0 go directly to the point in all the time, your suggestion for DO IT YOURSELF is great. I can see a good future to the MOF with this new approach, I waiting for her to be more used for the companies on day to day projects.

Regards,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project
    www.clebermarques.com
    Friday, May 16, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Yes, fewer documents helps significantly.

In considering the structure of the material, consider the fact that everyone will have to adapt and extend what MOF provides and then publish that for broad use with their organizations.  Perhaps something more intranet / web friendly might an option too.  Before comitting to Word, I had experimented with wiki on MOSS 2007.  Wiki pages are much more reference-able by a broad and distributed organization, than Word is.  If nothing else, the Incoming Links feature would at least help know who in the organization may have picked it up. 
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Khalid AlHakim [MSFT] said:

. It is not all about the documentation amount and the # of pages. As IT pros and IT management, they need something actionable and actualized. MOFv4 SMFs offer very concise and straight to the point discussion, and are more likely applicable.

Exactly my thoughts as I looked at MOF4 vs. MOF3.  Version 4 seems more compact, more user-friendly... more productive than version 3.  Having a lot of documentation requirements dooms any system.  By reducing the reading to a more reasonable level, and the paperwork to the essentials will likely result in MOF4 having better "legs" than previous versions.

Ric Crouch
    Process Catalyst Solutions
    www.processcatalyst.com
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:53 AM