Error 6: Can no longer insert a picture into an email, whether in Outlook Express 6 or Outlook 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Can no longer insert a picture into an email, whether in Outlook Express 6 or Outlook 2003
    Win XP Pro SP3 with plenty of RAM.

I'm drafting a new email in OE6 or Outlook
    I do Insert - Picture.
    I get a small window that prompts me for the folder path to where my pictures are.  It has a "Browse" button.  When I hit the Browse button, I get the error message
      Message from webpage
      An error has occurred in this dialog.
      Error: 6
      Object doesn't support this property or method.
      [OK button].
    If instead of hitting the Browse button I type in the folder path to My Pictures and hit OK, it puts a little white-box-with-red-X in the email.
    Before, when I hit Browse, it used to open the My Pictures folder, I'd select a gif, hit OK and the gif would dance around in the body of my email.  No longer.
    Make me sad.

Also, when within a folder and using Send To | Mail Recipient, it adds the picture as an attachment to the email, not IN the email.  No fun.

Any ideas what to do?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:28 AM

Answers

• Yes.  I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7 or 6.  Then I re-installed IE 8.  Fixed my OE problem.

If that also works for you, please come back here and advise, and maybe flag this as a solution.

• Edited by glnzglnz Friday, July 5, 2013 1:47 PM Edit
    • Marked as answer by glnzglnz Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:04 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 1:44 PM

All replies

• Check if this works : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/9711349e-c156-45cf-ab2e-309a18317fad

Detect and repair : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822238?wa=wsignin1.0

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by glnzglnz Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Thanks for suggestion, Arnav.  I have already tried Detect & Repair in Outlook 2003 - no luck.  In any case, I have the same problem in OE6. (Is there a Repair for OE6?)

Also, I have not deleted that registry key because I have no problem receiving pictures in emails, only embedding them in new outgoing emails.

I am hoping that this more tech-oriented forum might know why I am getting this particular Error 6 message I quote above.

(Cannot insert a screenshot of the error message here because my account on this forum is not "verified", whatever that is.  But I am quoting it above correctly line by line.)

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Any updates ? Were you able to find any solution.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Yes.  I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7 or 6.  Then I re-installed IE 8.  Fixed my OE problem.

If that also works for you, please come back here and advise, and maybe flag this as a solution.

• Edited by glnzglnz Friday, July 5, 2013 1:47 PM Edit
    • Marked as answer by glnzglnz Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:04 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 1:44 PM
  • By the way, to see the complete thread where a Microsoft SVP gave me the answer above, see

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-ecoms/error-6-cannot-insert-a-picture-into-an-email/9c9cf4a2-94b6-403c-afc8-f152a788154d?page=2

That's the second page, so scroll back to the first page to see more.
    • Edited by glnzglnz Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:14 PM Edit
    Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:13 PM