Problem with Windows Server 2019 RDS License RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2019, Russian version, clean installation, licensed, activated, in the workgroup.

Installed the role of Remote Desktop Services, Remote Desktop Licensing Service and Remote Desktop Session Host.
    RDS license server is activated, a license for 5 users is installed.

In group policies, the license server is specified and the "per user" mode is selected. The licensing diagnostic tool does not find any problems, but it shows that the session host server and the licensing server are version 2016.

With a terminal connection to the server, the following message is displayed:
    "
    There is a problem with your Remote Desktop license, and your session will be disconnected in 60 minutes, Contact your system administrator to to fix this problem"

There are no error records in the logs, the license manager shows that no licenses have been issued and 5 licenses are available.

Which way to dig? Where to look for the cause of the error?

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:09 PM

All replies

• "We can use ONLY Per Device CALs in a workgroup environment.  So, you should install only Per Device CALs on RDS licensing server"
    we can refer this document:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2473823/best-practices-for-setting-up-remote-desktop-licensing-terminal-server

so if we want to use per user cal successfully ,the best choice is to add  windows server 2019 to a domain.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:41 AM
  • "We can use ONLY Per Device CALs in a workgroup environment.  So, you should install only Per Device CALs on RDS licensing server"
    But Windows Server 2016 works alongside, configured in the same way - in the workgroup and with the “per user” mode. There are no errors on it.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:01 PM
  • hi,
    in general license issue,we can  check if the below registry is configured.

Remote Desktop Licensing Mode registry config for per user
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]"LicensingMode"=dword:00000004        
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\Licensing Core]"LicensingMode"=dword:00000004    

Remote Desktop License Server registry for specifing license server 
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers]SpecifiedLicenseServers                     
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]LicenseServers

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 14, 2018 6:27 AM
  • hi,
    in general license issue,we can  check if the below registry is configured.

Both servers are configured the same.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]"LicensingMode"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\Licensing Core]"LicensingMode"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers]SpecifiedLicenseServers - not specified

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]LicenseServers="127.0.0.1"

Windows Server 2016 with this setting works fine, Windows Server 2019 shows an error. Replacing 5 by 4 and adding the SpecifiedLicenseServers parameter does not help, the error still persists.

• Edited by Smeagorl Friday, December 14, 2018 7:21 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Got the same problem since the launch of 2019.

As temporarily workaround i need to use the built in grace period as per device.

Hope  Microsoft will fix this soon..

Monday, December 17, 2018 10:51 AM
  • hi,
    0 the method which we use per user mode in workgroup is out of b
    est practices for setting up Remote Desktop Licensing server ,so I am not sure if it can still support server 2019 RDS environment.

1 check if 4 registry keys are all set . 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\Licensing Core]"LicensingMode"=dword:00000004    

Remote Desktop License Server registry for specifing license server on RDSH server
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers]SpecifiedLicenseServers                     
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]LicenseServers

2 the below item also need to set

3 other condition we can refer below website.
    https://vdimatters.com/2018/07/30/rds-in-a-workgroup-or-with-active-directory-licensing-failure/
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information

Monday, December 17, 2018 11:14 AM
  • The registery keys are set, but still not working if the server is in a workgroup.
    Monday, December 17, 2018 11:44 AM
  • It looks as anyone has the same problem as I also.
    I'm not astonished, that this key hack not works..

@Andy You: But MS tells us, RDS on Workgroup should work - even on 2019 all versions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2833839/guidelines-for-installing-the-remote-desktop-session-host-role-service...

@smeagorl: I not understand -- you found these reg-values on a Server2019, or you added it?
    @Andy you:  same question and/or you really recommend to create these reg-values?
    I've done what MS says, but I got the same problem (and not this regkeys, at least not the one under).

Moreover if I created this "LicenseMode"  value manually, but afterwards the $obj.ChangeValue throws an exception .. so it seems this values conflicts with the procedure as described from MS.

My Licenses are not accepted but they are recognized as one for Srv2019 .. very mysterious is the Licensing-Server version 2016 - as I also have. 

What i not have installed is the Gateway and RD WEB Access - I not can imagine the sense of it (and I don't like to install the IIS).

For me the only important question would be … will MS change/fix this or really abolish RDS in non ADS-Env...
    or and/  @Andy you: Have you really seen it working ?

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:21 PM
  • @Gro-eg: All values except SpecifiedLicenseServers were in the registry. I added the SpecifiedLicenseServers manually for verification.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:10 AM
  • ok … has been a hard day … because I need the wts in near future (and has mor to install) .. I created a DC … and then the problems increases (first of connecting to DC, but s different ..9 … After joined (and so renamed!) I used the Quick.Start for TS activation … and now I got all problems with not found LicenseServer again … at the end moreover TS asserts, that my trial-time ist out (ONE-DAY installed) and I was no more able to connect via rdp (since the wts is on hyper-v this is very bad ). I used emote - ps and the new remote WebAdmin.. After half a night and day … and a lot of tries I tried it with gpo

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/58286d53-a795-4115-b892-26b25dbfd175/how-does-one-specify-licensing-mode-in-rds-on-server-2016 … 

Now it first looked well … but a domain user is no not able to connect -- only local one and they consume licenses .. so I think this is what I originally want to have … so @Smeagor try this … (after https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2833839/guidelines-for-installing-the-remote-desktop-session-host-role-service...)  
     .. but my system is now in a bad state -- don't now how to proceed -- remove an reinstall WTS or try to remove domain again ... first I do now a backup.. (what I not done before... i never thought to run in such problems … I never backup every half an hour after every successful installation step..)

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:07 PM
  • Hello, i ended up creating a DC aswell.

On the terminal server i had to disable ipv6 on the network card else it wouldnt recognize the domain and give the licensing problems.

So many small issues with 2019..
    • Edited by vmiwouter Thursday, December 20, 2018 10:06 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 10:05 PM
  • SAME ISSUE!

Got 2 half broken servers now, one was in-place upgraded from 2016>2019 and i cant no longer use per user licences, what do you expect me Microsoft to create domain and migrate all because of this?Please some admin respond and give us solution!

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:24 PM

• Alessandro Romualdi

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:47 PM
  • If you are not in a domain and you are in a workgroup and your trying to get RDSH to work on server 2019. You need to setup the license server to hand out Cals on a per device method and also update local GPO to license on a per device also and then reboot and test.

http://WrinkleFreeIT.com/

Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Im having the same issues as mentioned in the original post on top.  The exact same issue.  Has anyone figured this one out yet without using DC 
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Okay - setup license server to hand out CALs per device and update local GPO.  How?

I've loaded nothing but a Per Device CAL in the license manager, now what?

Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Does anyone has an solution for this?
    • Edited by ale.medina Tuesday, March 17, 2020 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 1:49 PM