How to "re-assign" mailbox from proxy account to regular user account (Exchange 2003) RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 accounts in Active Directory, one is jly and the other is jlyproxy.  Mail is enabled for jlyproxy, but not jly.  I need to delete the jlyproxy account, but don't want to lose any of my emails, calendar events, etc.

Is there a way to accomplish this task?  I've read somewhere online that I can export all my Outlook stuff using the Import/Export Wizard.  Then enable mail on the jly account and import that data back in?

Friday, January 6, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

• There is a better way to do this.

For Exchange 2003 follow this procedure:

1.  Record the e-mail addresses and other mail properties you might need to preserve, such as custom attributes.

2.  Make sure that account jily is not mail- or mailbox-enabled, i.e., that it has no e-mail attributes.

3.  Either delete the jilyproxy account or right-click it in Active Directory Users and Computers, select Exchange Tasks and Remove Exchange Attributes.  The latter keeps the account but mailbox-disables it, which keeps the old SID in case you find you need the account for some other purpose.

4.  Right-click the mailbox database and run the Cleanup Wizard.

5.  After a little while, the mailbox will show up in the mailbox database's list of mailboxes with a red X showing that it is disconnected.  Right-click it and select to reconnect the mailbox, and then select account jily.

If I didn't write this perfectly clearly or recalled something wrong, here's a web post with the procedure:  http://exchangepedia.com/2006/03/how-to-reconnect-a-mailbox-to-another-user.html

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Friday, January 6, 2012 5:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by imkottees Friday, January 6, 2012 5:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jackzhou_5 Monday, January 16, 2012 7:39 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:40 PM
  • yes you are right almost.. 

* all those four tabs appear for mailbox enabled users

* exchange features tab will not be appear for mail enabled users and also there are some more differences.. 

if you would like to know difference between mailbox enabled and mail enabled users please refer below article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/understanding-mailbox-enabled-mail-enabled-recipients.html

Thanks & Regards, Kottees **** Please mark as an answer if it is really helps you.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this would accomplish your goal.. 

1. configure outlook profile for jlyproxy

2. export all the contents to a pst

3. remove the mailbox for jlyproxy

4. enable mailbox for jly and configure outlook

5. import the pst

Thanks & Regards, Kottees **** Please mark as an answer if it is really helps you.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:34 PM
  • There is a better way to do this.

For Exchange 2003 follow this procedure:

1.  Record the e-mail addresses and other mail properties you might need to preserve, such as custom attributes.

2.  Make sure that account jily is not mail- or mailbox-enabled, i.e., that it has no e-mail attributes.

3.  Either delete the jilyproxy account or right-click it in Active Directory Users and Computers, select Exchange Tasks and Remove Exchange Attributes.  The latter keeps the account but mailbox-disables it, which keeps the old SID in case you find you need the account for some other purpose.

4.  Right-click the mailbox database and run the Cleanup Wizard.

5.  After a little while, the mailbox will show up in the mailbox database's list of mailboxes with a red X showing that it is disconnected.  Right-click it and select to reconnect the mailbox, and then select account jily.

If I didn't write this perfectly clearly or recalled something wrong, here's a web post with the procedure:  http://exchangepedia.com/2006/03/how-to-reconnect-a-mailbox-to-another-user.html

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Friday, January 6, 2012 5:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by imkottees Friday, January 6, 2012 5:53 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Hi Ed,

i think its 2003..  we can also delete the mailbox and reconnect with new one... 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274343

correct me if i am wrong.. 

• Edited by imkottees Friday, January 6, 2012 5:48 PM add more
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Yes, that is the same as I documented.  The link I posted more closely matches what you want to do.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:17 PM
  • thank you so much for clarification.. have a great day.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Thank you for the info.  How can I confirm to make sure that the "jly" account is not mail or mailbox enabled?  Is it safe to say that the account is not mail or mailbox-enabled if the these tabs are not available in the user's properties: E-Mail Addresses, Exchange Features, Exchange Advanced and Exchange General?
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:19 PM
  • yes you are right almost.. 

* all those four tabs appear for mailbox enabled users

* exchange features tab will not be appear for mail enabled users and also there are some more differences.. 

if you would like to know difference between mailbox enabled and mail enabled users please refer below article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/understanding-mailbox-enabled-mail-enabled-recipients.html

Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:46 AM