Using existing antivirus engine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Please excuse me if you find my questions stupid, but I am new to Forefront and even after reading Technet Microsoft Forefront Security for SharePoint instructions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb914032.aspx I am not 100% sure about some issues.

Just to give more background info on this,

FFSP will be used on WSS 3.0 server to manage Real time scans only
    As a standard we are using Symantec Endpoint Protection on our servers
    Updating this antivirus engine is being managed centrally and configured to be pushed from internal update server
    Preferably we would like to install FFSP without any built-in engines and later on configure it to use our standard backend engine (Symantec Endpoint Protection)

So my questions are:
    Is it possible to configure FFSP to use existing antivirus engine? As far as I understand that is possible, but I have not found ant details...
    Do I need to configure antivirus engine updates in FFSP if that engine is already configured to be updated within itself? As far as I understood technet article says that “is disabled by default, you need to set the update schedules for each engine”, but there are no details about situation when externally configured engine is being used.

Thanks in advance!

Tofig

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It is not possible to configure Forefront for SharePoint to use an engine outside the list of the built in engines.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:41 PM