none
Any way to protect workgroup windows 7 clients using certificates? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to protect Windows 7 clients that are are not part of a domain (workgroup) using certificate authentication? I understand that this may be unsupported by Microsoft but is there a registry setting or script that can be used to get it to work?

Microsoft Partner
    • Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:31 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, the enterprise licence would be required under that senario.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by rEMOTE_eVENT Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:32 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only the following workloads/scenarios are supported using certificate based authentication:

1. SQL Server

2. File Server

3. Hyper-V Server

4. Clustered Backed (For all of the above workloads)

5. Secondary DPM Server (for DR)

With that said, there is nothing preventing you from protecting the Windows 7 clients data using file server work flow instead of client work flow.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Thanks for the response. If I am to protect Windows 7 clients using the file server work flow as you suggest how is this licensed? Will it cost me an enterprise license instead of a client license?
    Microsoft Partner
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the enterprise licence would be required under that senario.

• Marked as answer by rEMOTE_eVENT Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:32 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:00 PM