none
Exchange mailbox will not delete!

Question

• I have an Exchange 2013 server connected to Exchange Online, and we are using AD Sync. We added a mailbox to a user's AD account (the account was created a few years back - the user did not need a mailbox until recently) and the mailbox is sitting on our on premise 2013 server. We are unable to set the user's primary SMTP address to our standard naming convention. It keeps reverting to the user's alias@domain.com rather than first.last@domain.com like the other mailboxes in our organization regardless of whether I change it manually using the EAC or through PowerShell. I get no error messages, and it looks like it completes successfully. However, ~5 minutes after the change, the primary email address reverts back to alias@domain.com. Since this mailbox wasn't being used, I was going to delete the mailbox and start from scratch. However, I will disconnect the mailbox only to find that it reconnects after a few minutes. Today I even went so far as to manually clear the AD attributes for this user's account - the mailbox went away, but reconnected again after several minutes. I have compared the mailbox settings to settings of other mailboxes.....I have compared AD attributes between this account and our other production accounts....nothing is standing out as being different between the two. Because this ID is currently being used, we do not want to have to delete/recreate the account in its entirety, but at this point I don't know what else to try. Has anyone else had similar issues with an Exchange account? Or thoughts on what else I can try to get this mailbox to delete? The mailbox isn't under Litigation Hold....it is not set to automatically update the email address based on policy....it does not exist in Exchange Online.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:45 PM

Answers

• Clear the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy" checkbox.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:28 PM

All replies

• Clear the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy" checkbox.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Hi GinaH,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 9:22 AM