How Do I Change the Default Bullets in Word 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I got Word 2010. For some reason, I cant change the default bullet to another type of bullet. For example, the default bullet is an arrow. I want to change the default to a small square bullet. I tried this by changing it in 'Define New Bullet', but nothing happens. When I close and re-open Word 2010, it defaults back to the original default bullet.

How do I change the default bullet permanently?
    • Moved by Jennifer Zhan Friday, November 19, 2010 6:29 AM (From:Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You must associate this bullet with a style (List Bullet, say) and then apply the style instead of clicking on the Bullets button (the Ctrl+Shift+L keyboard shortcut will apply List Bullet style).

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:02 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You must associate this bullet with a style (List Bullet, say) and then apply the style instead of clicking on the Bullets button (the Ctrl+Shift+L keyboard shortcut will apply List Bullet style).

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:02 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:33 AM
  • This may be too technical, but I had the same problem.

This post lead to the solution that I used: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/36124529/how-to-link-bullet-icon-to-list-bullet-style.aspx

Solution Quote:

• "...intercept the built-in FormatBulletDefault command by placing this
      simple macro in your normal.dotm:

Sub FormatBulletDefault()
      Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style = wdStyleListBullet
      End Sub"

Joel M
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:32 PM