none
Should I create Records A for Hyper-V cluster nodes?

Question

• Hi

I created two node Hyper-V cluster using Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 OS. There is a external switch with access to corporate LAN.

I've got a problem with this switch. When I set option "Register This Connections Address" for virtual network adapters (vEthernet (VS-E1)) for this switch on these two nodes, this settings change value to False. So after some time records for this network adapters are removed by DNS server because cluster doesn't refresh this option.

Is it default Settings for cluster?

Hostname InterfaceAlias           RegisterThisConnectionsAddress      UseSuffixWhenRegistering

HVC1N1 vEthernet (VS-E1)        False                                              False

HVC1N2 vEthernet (VS-E1)        False                                              False

Kind Regards Tomasz

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

From your post, you encountered a issue that the setting “Register This Connections Address” can not change to true when we check it in powershell, it still shown “false” after we set for the external virtual switch netadapters on the two nodes. Is that?

Have you rebooted the two nodes and the cluster? 

What’s properties for the switch in the cluster network console, whether use for cluster and client? We can refer to the following figure.

Besides, I observed another similar thread from you years ago. Is this a same issue? And how did you resolve it at that time?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e7f987fb-5201-4a58-94ca-9ee5ae93ecb5/registerthisconnectionsaddress-option-for-virtual-switch-changes-to-false-after-reboot-all-nodes?forum=winserverhyperv

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Hi

so the same as in your picture.

I've just made this test:

1. I changed (using PowerShell) value of this parameter of virtual netowrk adapter: "Register This Connections Address" form False to True on both nodes.

2. I restarted Node 1. This value changed to False.

3. I Restarted Node 2.  This value is still True for Node 2 but... the value for Node 1 changed from False to True!

So after restart the value for all two nodes  is True. I'll be check these values and if they changed I'll inform you using this post.

This simillar thresd is mine. Yes the same issue. I updated drivers for Realter Ethenret cards, installed all Windows Updates but problem still exist.

In few days I use two IBM servers and Install Hyper-V 2019 and create two node cluster. So we will see if this problem wil appear there.

Kind Regards Tomasz

• Edited by Yukio Seki Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:55 AM add picture
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed update.

Please check if there's any domain group policy to reduce setting this option for the node in your environment. 

Besides, may I ask any change before this issue happened, like windows updates or new application installation on the nodes?

Furthermore, this option "Register thisconnection address" enabled will be synchronously changed in the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{<Interface GUID>}\] , the registry key "RegistrationEnabled"=dword:0.

Therefore, we could use Process Monitor to monitor which process and when to change the option.

Process Monitor v3.50

Meanwhile, I'll stand by with you. If you have any update or question, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,

Michael  

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on?

Best regards,

Michael

7 hours 19 minutes ago
  • Today in the morning everything was ok.

Now I check and:

Hostname InterfaceAlias              RegisterThisConnectionsAddress UseSuffixWhenRegistering
    TTHVC1N1 vEthernet (VS-E1)      False                                         False
    TTHVC1N2 vEthernet (VS-E1)      True                                          False

No cluster or nodes were restart. Nothing was changed.

Very strange.

Kind Regards Tomasz

2 hours 53 minutes ago
  • Hi

Cluster nodes AD computer accounts  and cluster AD computer account are in special Organizational Unit. All GPOs are blocked for this OU so no GPO has impact for cluster nodes and cluster AD computers account.

On node TTHVC1N1 in registry I found:

{c99cc292-c624-407b-9ad6-5518ab304741}
    DefaultGateway: 10.1.1.2
    IPAddress: 10.1.1.127
    NameServer: 10.1.1.11,10.1.1.5
    RegistrationEnabled 0x00000000 (0)

I changed again  RegisterThisConnectionsAddress  from False To True. Registry key RegistrationEnabled changed to 0x00000001 (1).

I'll try use Process Monitor.

Kind Regards Tomasz

2 hours 26 minutes ago