none
I am being logged in under a temporary profile for some reason, all of my documents have disappeared and none of my installed programmes will work!! RRS feed

All replies

• I assume you are working on a standalone computer (no domain account with roaming profiles). If you have administrative rights you can probably fix your account bij modifing the following in the registry (start > run > regedit)
    1. Log in with your temporary profile or with the local administrator account.
    2. Start the registry editor and navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    3. Look for the profile with the ".bak".  This is the CORRECT old profile.
    4. Rename the profile with the same key name (SID) that does not have ".bak" by adding "new" to the end.  Next remove the ".bak" from the correct profile.
    5. Logoff and on
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Is there error message or error code?

Please check if you could use other use account to log on.

If yes, please refer following link to fix corrupted user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile in Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

If no, please try to boot into safe mode to fix the user account profile.

Here are steps to enter safe mode.

1. Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the Safe Mode and press Enter.

Please try to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

Please refer the Fix the user account profile part of following link to fix user account profile.

You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Friday, April 13, 2018 7:10 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Try waiting it out. Check if Windows updates is installing still.
    One of our users saw the error "The User Profile Service failed the logon” only once as he restarted a few times, then finally it logged him in fully again.

For another user, that message kept appearing, we resorted to creating a new user profile in safe mode then moving content.

Friday, April 13, 2018 4:48 PM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:11 AM
  • I am seeing an outbreak of this particular "temporary profile" error on Windows 7; one computer last week, one this and another call-out pending.  It does not happen every time so if you restart there is some chance your profile will load normally.  Creating a new profile worked to solve the issue, AFAIK.

This is not the same error as "The user profile service failed the logon", although of a similar nature.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:49 PM