choosing between images folder and document library for the images RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement for storing images which will be used by different web parts in a site collection

So, i was wondering what could be a better choice to put the images; do i use a images folder or a document library ?

Also, the business requirement is it will replace a flash down load image(not flash installed); in images folder, there are columns width and height

which are important for the business requirement.

Monday, May 2, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• I would recommend use the picture library for storing the images as it will provide you all features of a document library plus some additional features meant for image files. 

Although you can store pictures in other types of Windows SharePoint Services lists and libraries, There are many advantages to using picture libraries.  
    Every time you upload a picture, SharePoint actually stores 3 files: the original picture, a version optimized for the Web, and a thumbnail.
     Other advantages include :
    1. Viewing pictures with one of three unique display styles (Thumbnail View etc.)
    2. Sharing pictures by using slide shows 
    3. Sending pictures directly to Microsoft Office programs
    4. Downloading pictures directly to a computer,
    5. Editing pictures with Windows SharePoint Services-compatible image editors, such as Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

My SharePoint Blog
    http://dhireny.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:23 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:15 PM