Cannot Install iTunes/Quicktime RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows XP. I am trying to install iTunes as administrator, I deleted it a long time ago, but when the install gets to the end I get an error like:

"Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Make sure you have sufficient access to the required key or contact your support personnel."

I think the error may be more related to Quicktime than iTunes but it still stops me from installing iTunes, what is wrong?

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:34 PM

All replies

• - Do you have full control access to the registry key that is mentioned? You can easily verify this in the registry editor by rightclicking on the key, and clicking "Permissions".

- Try removing anything related to iTunes/Quicktime from that key before starting the installation.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:53 PM
  • - I tried this but when I click 'Permission' it says "Error opening key"?

- Currently looking all over my Program Files etc. to try and do this, will reply if works

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:42 AM
  • I have tried your suggestions to no avail, I've basically wiped all existence of iTunes and Quicktime from my computer, I have used CCleaner to delete other iTunes Quicktimes files and I have also used CCleaner to fix the issues in my registry files.

The error message I get is exactly this:

Could not open key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:55 AM